Woodworking Shows/Meetup

Coop

Houston is really a neat city but it sucks as far as attracting woodworking shows. My new bucket list is to meet as many members on here as possible. To chat on here is cool but as I have come to realize, a hand shake and hug goes a lot further. Are there Woodworking shows that you guys attend and that are more popular than others? The Amana , Iowa show is every two years, coming up again in 2019 and I will be there. I understand that there is one in Vegas and in Atlanta. Are there others? Thank goodness, I have my wife’s support. .

I am giving real serious thought to going to the Vegas show next year.  Last show here in California was canceled at ht least minute about 4 years back.  I know the vegas show is kind of like Atlanta, mostly pro stuff but I want to go just cause nothing else comes out this way.  I would certainly like meeting up with you guys.

• Like 1

Amen, Coop. We can't even attract a Lee valley or lie neilson traveling showcase in this town; there's no place to try out hand tools before buying them (other than woodcraft brand tools at their Southwest store).  There was a The Woodworking Shows event a couple of years ago, but we appear to be off the rotation these days.

At least we've got a good selection of lumber.

IWF and AWFS are definitely more pro industrial shows but still worth the effort if you've never been and it doesn't shoot your whole WW budget for the year. I bought my Hammer A3/31 at AWFS it was the show demo :) Seeing some of those industrial machines eat through pallets of wood is pretty awesome.

The only thing about both those shows is the locations...only cheap a$$ woodworkers would pick Atlanta in August and Las Vegas in July lol.

I also have been to handworks twice and really enjoyed it both times. That said it is a smaller show catering to hand tools only but since its relatively close for me definitely worth the trip. We have enough WTO members here in the twin cites carpooling might make sense LOL

I will definitely do handworks if they have it and possibly AWFS next year. I also hope to go back to Marc Adams for another class next year. I would really like to do FWW live but given my location that one can get pretty spendy for me but still on the list just not next year.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mark J said:

As far as shows you might like Fine Woodworking Live.  The woodworking show in Amana also has had great reviews.

Dave just told me that he checked Aman’s site and nothing has been posted yet about a show next year. It was really a neat deal. My next trip will include something warmer that shorts and flip flops. 

• 3 months later...

So Benchcrafted posted a video of handworks 2017 today, and I thought maybe there was some news... but apparently not.

While looking at Amana's event calendar I found this:

http://www.amanacolonies.com/city/amana-colonies/event/woodfest-3/

A festival of and about WOOD!   Woodfest, August 23-25, 2019, will attract woodcrafters of all types from throughout the Midwest.  The festival features ongoing demonstrations or you can shop for furniture, home and garden décor, toys, bowls, carvings, tools and more.  Woodfest is known for handcrafted wood items, tools and equipment, demonstrations and sales, along with the opportunity to visit with regional and national woodcrafters and wood product vendors.

It's a different focus, but might actually be more interesting as it's primary focus is handcrafted items.   It's an annual event that's gone on for a few years.