pkinneb

Basement Project Journal

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Amazing I was busy all weekend but didn't see a ton of overall progress.

Story of my life.

Basement is looking great!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Story of my life.

Basement is looking great!

I agree!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks to me like you did about as good as anyone could have done.

Finishing up all the little stuff always burns more time than anyone would think it should.  That's why I never put a price on a house until I was completely finished with it, all the tools were moved out, and everything cleaned up.  Most of the time, it sold on the first weekend.  I never kept one longer than two weeks once I put a price on it, and never used a realtor, or advertised more than having a small sign at the road all along.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom King said:

Looks to me like you did about as good as anyone could have done.

Finishing up all the little stuff always burns more time than anyone would think it should.  That's why I never put a price on a house until I was completely finished with it, all the tools were moved out, and everything cleaned up.  Most of the time, it sold on the first weekend.  I never kept one longer than two weeks once I put a price on it, and never used a realtor, or advertised more than having a small sign at the road all along.

Thanks Tom! 

My wife asked why it takes me so long to do the trim. I said go upstairs and look at the trim in the main floor half bath then come back down and look at this trim. She comes back down and says I never really paid attention to it before but was the person blind :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need for Disney World or any other travel with a place like this. Looking good bud! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Thanks Tom! 

My wife asked why it takes me so long to do the trim. I said go upstairs and look at the trim in the main floor half bath then come back down and look at this trim. She comes back down and says I never really paid attention to it before but was the person blind :) 

so you have to put the basement on hold to redo the trim in the main floor half bath?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SimonR said:

so you have to put the basement on hold to redo the trim in the main floor half bath?

LOL I probably should its pretty pathetic, see below this is the worst corner but com'n...when in doubt fill those 1/4" gaps with putty ;)

The fact that they filled lets you know about all you need to :)

IMG_6304.JPG.1576d10ca4b4086ea9ee355dbbd9bd93.JPG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often get friends to ask me about trim work and my opinion on it. I almost always tell them a good trim carpenter is worth every penny. Followed by if your trim looked good before try really hard to salvage and reuse it.

Trim carpentry isn't really difficult but it's tedious and requires a high attention to detail. Not everone is capable of that. Your basement is looking awesome keep that detail level up!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting damn close Paul.

What type of flooring are you using in the bath and behind the bar?

In looking for your bar top did you happen to look at this company https://www.concretecountertopsolutions.com

I have been thinking about using their concrete system in my kitchen counters.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chet said:

What type of flooring are you using in the bath and behind the bar?

In looking for your bar top did you happen to look at this company https://www.concretecountertopsolutions.com

I have been thinking about using their concrete system in my kitchen counters.

Pergo Outlast + Waterproof for both.

Going with epoxy from stonecoatcountertops.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your inner most curve, it seems to follow the whole curve nicely.  #3 not at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always, it looks like you have your act together and well planed. For the upper counter, are the brackets/supports an over the counter item or did you have them custom made?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like #2 as it allows that portion to maybe hold a deck of cards and a drink but accomplishes about the same design aspect as #1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A really nice piece of carpentry work. Renovations are always a pain but so satisfying on completion. A really nice job, well thought out and executed.  John 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chet said:

I like your inner most curve, it seems to follow the whole curve nicely.  #3 not at all.

I'm with you Chet my wife likes #3 but since I'm making it LOL

11 hours ago, Coop said:

As always, it looks like you have your act together and well planed. For the upper counter, are the brackets/supports an over the counter item or did you have them custom made?

Over the counter. They are really beefy 1/2" thick, screwed from two sides, and probably over kill as they are made for granite. Better to be safe then sorry and definitely rock solid no pun intended :)

https://www.countertopbracket.com/Granite-Bracket-Forward-L-p/flb.htm

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I like #2 as it allows that portion to maybe hold a deck of cards and a drink but accomplishes about the same design aspect as #1.

Hmm food for thought...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 184 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    28906
    Total Topics
    390462
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    21829
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    Nogglebaum
    Newest Member
    Nogglebaum
    Joined