Basement Project Journal


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazing I was busy all weekend but didn't see a ton of overall progress. First up was to move the outlet so that it was above the counter not in it  Then a made a little section of cou

Counter tops: For the lower top I used plastic template material to make a full size template. The curved wall made this more difficult but necessary. You just mark off the wall and then cut the

Big day today carpet went down in the main family room  My crappy pics make it look tan in some of the photo's but its a grayish color. The stair is more representative of what it really looks li

Posted Images

Glue? Little bit in the middle and clamp it down. Violates movement technically but if you just glue a little bit with narrow material it's unlikely to be an issue. The slats look narrower than some tenons I've cut.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Case is done, glued up, and trimmed out just need to make the doors and complete the finishing process

IMG_6694.JPG.025c2aa1efe2f9f2e756c5dfa53f07e4.JPG

IMG_6696.JPG.6d70c8fc07b1e96ed3946b35acbc8846.JPG

IMG_6697.JPG.f0e081a64af3add637e56858befee8eb.JPG

IMG_6698.JPG.2fae41a8b6d6b793e46f644bad92a8b9.JPG

IMG_6699.JPG.bcb5fb6a70d4679b625761124d615de2.JPG

To do the doors I decided to make a tablesaw fence jig I had seen in FWW a while back

IMG_6701.JPG.ee6a97e6629937b9efc8b75022fd35d4.JPG

I adjusted my measurements for my saw as these must be for the Industrial saw.

IMG_6700.JPG.e40e5c6cfdf2bff542a38c65bc881d1f.JPG

Everything went fine up to this point...

IMG_6702.JPG.4f9e9be2b41e52938c61a1e24e5834fa.JPG

More to come but suffice it to say the layout measurements in the article are pretty much crap...never had that happen with FWW before but it is what it is at this point. (and no it has nothing to do with my changes to dimensions). For one hole size they say 1" in the text, 1 1/4" on a picture on one page, and 1 1/2" on a different page and pic of the same hole. While none of these are really a problem I mean its just a jig after all but kinda ridiculous none the less. Oh well back to work

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pkinneb said:

More to come but suffice it to say the layout measurements in the article are pretty much crap...never had that happen with FWW before

I had that happen from a set of plans I purchased from them for the Gregory Paolini Arts & Crafts sideboard I built.  Dry fit right befere a pretty intense glue up I noticed something hinky.  I took a measurement on the piece, looked at the plans and the numbers matched but the piece wasn't going to fit (too big) so it was an easy fix but then down the road I found varying numbers on another part in the plans

I built the same jig you are and I really like it especially with the "L" fence.  I built mine just looking at a picture I grabbed from a Pekovich video and came up with my own dimensions and numbers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chet said:

I had that happen from a set of plans I purchased from them for the Gregory Paolini Arts & Crafts sideboard I built.  Dry fit right befere a pretty intense glue up I noticed something hinky.  I took a measurement on the piece, looked at the plans and the numbers matched but the piece wasn't going to fit (too big) so it was an easy fix but then down the road I found varying numbers on another part in the plans

I built the same jig you are and I really like it especially with the "L" fence.  I built mine just looking at a picture I grabbed from a Pekovich video and came up with my own dimensions and numbers.

Hey Chet if you get a chance post a pic of your L Fence please.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished up the TS jig tonight by adding the clamps. It will get its first workout tomorrow when I mill the mortise and tenons for the door/drawer parts. It's actually slid forward about 3" in the photo then it would be during use.

IMG_6711.JPG.29217d1238e4872d0de0c247614b25f4.JPG

Also milled up all the door/drawer stiles and rails. 3 drawers and 6 doors total for the bar and vanity

IMG_6712.JPG.60ca6ef2801298e2d18e9a780810597b.JPG

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Is that jig all mdf? How durable do you find it to be for such use? I have a bunch of scraps to consume ...

Most of it is Baltic birch just the dado fences are MDF. The tall fence is a melamine like substance from Menards. The only concern I would have with MDF is the fence is relatively heavy and if you were to bounce a corner it would crush pretty good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Here's the link how to build it. Might have to make it so I can use the toggle clamps I got off of ebay.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/membership/pdf/27802/011231056.pdf

 

LOL I went to the hardware store to by the fence bolts only to find that I had purchased them 2 years ago they were sitting with my toggle clamps :)

Apparently I had been planning to build this for longer then I thought but receipts don't lie lol

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

LOL I went to the hardware store to by the fence bolts only to find that I had purchased them 2 years ago they were sitting with my toggle clamps :)

Apparently I had been planning to build this for longer then I thought but receipts don't lie lol

Good call, didn't think about the other hardware. Might as well see if my dad wants to make one too. Can't be that much harder to knock out two of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

LOL I went to the hardware store to by the fence bolts only to find that I had purchased them 2 years ago they were sitting with my toggle clamps :)

Apparently I had been planning to build this for longer then I thought but receipts don't lie lol

It's kind of a relief knowing I'm not the only  one that's done that sort of thing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 10:05 AM, pkinneb said:

Hey Chet if you get a chance post a pic of your L Fence please.

Sorry about the delay in your request Paul,  We just started a Kitchen Reno so I haven't been checking in here as much.

Any questions let me know.

IMG_5944.thumb.jpg.20377363d92ddbdd9adf216011d5b78d.jpg

 

IMG_5951.thumb.jpg.30ad1ef06d52bf35826b310848c7f5a3.jpg

 

IMG_5952.thumb.jpg.6b69f0bb79913f3ba3616c8f60c8a45e.jpgIMG_5952.thumb.jpg.6b69f0bb79913f3ba3616c8f60c8a45e.jpg

 

IMG_5953.thumb.jpg.942a89f842e4fb26887e1c75b25ef739.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chet said:

Sorry about the delay in your request Paul,  We just started a Kitchen Reno so I haven't been checking in here as much.

Any questions let me know.

IMG_5952.thumb.jpg.6b69f0bb79913f3ba3616c8f60c8a45e.jpg

 

 

So the front and rear star knobs attach to the fence and the center two allow for movement up and down correct? FYI I'm going to steel this :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 122 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    29057
    Total Topics
    393186
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    21919
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    Ambcdef
    Newest Member
    Ambcdef
    Joined