How do you transport your wood?

Lee Rasi

Every person in my family has a truck and a trailer. Every friend has a truck. I have a prius because I drive over 100 miles per day. I really want to get a beater truck and trailer and kinda go down the route Cremona went. But right now I just have too many things going on to justify that expense. So.. I borrow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cliff said:

Every person in my family has a truck and a trailer. Every friend has a truck. I have a prius because I drive over 100 miles per day. I really want to get a beater truck and trailer and kinda go down the route Cremona went. But right now I just have too many things going on to justify that expense. So.. I borrow. 

I had a Prius before I got the Honda. Loved that car. Paid for itself with my mileage reimbursement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

+1 on the cruck. Pricey, yes, but it's designed to handle 49" between the wheel wells, which is one of the reasons I was interested in it. That, and it has a locking trunk under the bed. And it rides like a SUV. Plenty for my needs. I picked up some 5 x 5 Baltic Birch yesterday and it rode beautifully with about 2" hanging over the edge of the bed.

I also have a HF 4 x 8 trailer that I got when we first moved here. Long story short, my final cost was $157 plus the plywood to deck it. A friend and I went in on 7500 BF of assorted hardwood lumber last year and between his pickup and trailer and mine plus a 2 ton flatbed (2 trips) we got it from Albuquerque up here to Santa Fe in 3 trips. 

IMG_2645.thumb.jpg.74be42ef3353caa2ba2cb2986b5f3078.jpg

And it's blue!

11 minutes ago, Mark J said:

And it's blue!

When I got mine, the plan was to get the blue one.  I had always mocked people here with white vehicles, but when I saw a white Ridgeline in the dealer's lot, I realized it looked pretty sharp, so that's what I got.  It stays amazingly clean.  In the two years I've had it, I think it's been properly cleaned one time, and honestly still looks good!

• Like 1

I have a beater 2005 2 door Tacoma.  The wife has a 4 door Tacoma but, that thing doesn't have a bed, it has a purse.  I picked up some spare D-Rings that were meant for a Sprinter.  4 for $16 and they fit the stock Tacoma bed bolts.  With 4 points of tie down and a couple of wide ratchet straps, the "purse" does OK on shorter stock. 

D-rings-Sprinter.JPG

I’ve got a Transit Connect. The back doors kinda lock at 90 degrees open. About 80 inches x 48 of usable floor. Rings let me strap a load down & a bungee cord between the doors keeps things from flapping . I have put up to 16’ boards on the floor then loaded ply on top & strapped the entire stack down. I add a big blue tarp if rain threatens. I have carried finished trim to a job site by wrapping them in a packing blanket and sticking the bundle out the passenger window. 

I use packing/movers blankets to wrap finished cabinets, shelves and trim . I use rolls of stretch wrap to hold the bundles closed. Used to use packing tape but it didn’t stick to the blankets very well and 3m has gotten kinda pricey.  5” wide roll of stretch wrap goes a long way. I get better prices at a shipping box & tape supplier but Lowe’s & Depot carry stretch wrap too.

I got by for a few years with a Harbor Freight fold up trailer hauled with my wife's SUV.  My property doesn't really have a place to store a real trailer, but the fold up fit in my garage well.  It was a bit of a pain, even though it could be assembled in 15 minutes or less.  Picking up lumber was always the most dreaded part of my projects.  Then I traded in my Mustang for a truck...I miss the Mustang badly, but the truck is 1000x more practical, and with the crew cab it's practically an SUV.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, pkinneb said:

Nice truck! Are the coming out soon or just concept? By the way isn't a Spark a 3 cyl engine? One board at a time :ph34r:

Actually I've carried stuff much like David's pic of his mini with the exotic lumber. And sheet goods get cut in half and loaded on the back seat. Never had issues with the extra weight, even on very steep roads. Worth mentioning, new spark is 1400cc/4cyl/98hp vs 900cc on the old one, which did give me trouble :D 

The Fiat Strada is an actual production car, has been around for a few years already. The 3 door thing makes it look like a concept though but it seems to work. The RAM 700 is just a rebrand of the same car for some markets.

• Like 1