Drawer runners

Couple questions? Do you live in a climate that has large humidity changes? Are you a hand tool woodworker?  I have both here in MN so I would start with a 1/32" and then use my shoulder plane to dial it in if it gets tight. One other thing Is wax both the runner and the drawer groove makes a big difference especially if you want to stay on the tight tolerance side.

Definately before the finish. The playing cards are just spacers that hold my drawer in place, side to side and up and down so that I can locate my runner on the case. On the runners, I like to err a little on the high side as you can always plane the top of a smidge, allowing the drawer to drop down if need be. Be sure and attach the runner with screws only to allow for adjustment or replacement. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Definitely before the finish. The playing cards are just spacers that hold my drawer in place, side to side and up and down so that I can locate my runner on the case. On the runners, I like to err a little on the high side as you can always plane the top of a smidge, allowing the drawer to drop down if need be. Be sure and attach the runner with screws only to allow for adjustment or replacement. 

Coop has you covered here! The only thing I would add is that I rarely finish the inside of my drawers just the fronts and wax the runners, just personal preference i suppose.