Woodworkers Edge Rule

ben_r_

LINK

woodworkers-edge-rule_02.jpg

No sure how I feel about this one. Seems like its cheap enough and I do use a saddle square quite often to transfer marks from face to edge, but I just cant figure why I would need a long saddle square with ruler marks on it. So far I have never felt my Lee Valley Saddle Square (LINK) fell short in any way.

Yes but the price isn't absurd like 95% of their other products so I'd buy it because it's a less costly option to their 36" standard ruler. I almost hit buy BUT they mess it up just like all their other rulers and start with zero on the wrong end and then flip the direction for the opposite sides. I ALWAYS want zero on the one end. When they flip it it minimizes the utility of the ruler. It's like they don't understand that 99.9% of people's table saw fences are on the RIGHT side of the blade not the left...........:angry:

I'm tempted to call and ask them why and then ask for an engineer and then drop and angry rant on him.

22 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Yes but the price isn't absurd like 95% of their other products so I'd buy it because it's a less costly option to their 36" standard ruler. I almost hit buy BUT they mess it up just like all their other rulers and start with zero on the wrong end and then flip the direction for the opposite sides. I ALWAYS want zero on the one end. When they flip it it minimizes the utility of the ruler. It's like they don't understand that 99.9% of people's table saw fences are on the RIGHT side of the blade not the left...........:angry:

I'm tempted to call and ask them why and then ask for an engineer and then drop and angry rant on him.

Very good point! I didnt catch that at first. That is weird now that I think about it.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I sent an email asking for clarification on this as well as a few other comments. Hope the person that receives the email doesn't read between the lines and infer something i wasn't saying.

Cool! Curious to see what they come back with.

Just to be clear...both scales read the same direction. Both read left-to-right. If one was reversed, it would not be as easy to mark the same dimension on both the edge and face at the same time. We tried it. It was awkward. Wdwerker, you would like using this one. I'm left-handed, too. Look at the picture Ben linked in the first post. If you position your desired dimension at the end of the board, you can mark the stock at the end of the ruler rather easily left handed. For the other 90% of you guys, turn the ruler over so the longer side is on the edge and the shorter side is on the top and it will look and work exactly the same. 

I do understand what Chestnut is saying about setting a table saw fence. Maybe a right-to-left reading ruler would be a good idea, but it would be unique in the industry. I have been reading rules upside down on table saws for several decades. 

So the pictures on WP's site are tiny and make my eyes hurt trying to see detail. Yes i probably need glasses but my eyes are still better than most. The question comes from the zoomed in picture on the website as well as from the promotion video, screen shot below. I also get the argument that it is contrary to convention but we are also woodworkers that make out own furniture which is contrary to the modern convention of buying said furniture from IKEA, dang their cinnamon rolls are good though.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.33b2c52c323bed09af3ef302b1c5dfcc.jpg

Is unique a bad thing? Seems like a lot of companies have made boatloads off of bucking convention and offering unique products. Honestly it doesn't need to buck convention i don't care if the numbers are upside down that doesn't phase me but i want the edge that would be closest to the blade to be numbered right to left. Maybe a best option would be to treat zero as the bottom of the ruler and label zero from bottom to top. Then right or left handed right to left numbering it doesn't matter the numbers are just rotated 90 degrees.

23 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

Cool! Curious to see what they come back with.

From email. "The Edge Rules are 1/32" graduations and they have scales starting at zero on opposite ends." Which verifies what Jeff has previously pointed out.

So the typical less than useful approach. I'd much prefer both zeros to be on one end or the other not opposites. Especially for an asymmetrical device like this. The scale on the edge side is ALWAYS going to be going the wrong direction according to murphy's law.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

From email. "The Edge Rules are 1/32" graduations and they have scales starting at zero on opposite ends." Which verifies what Jeff has previously pointed out.

So the typical less than useful approach. I'd much prefer both zeros to be on one end or the other not opposites. Especially for an asymmetrical device like this. The scale on the edge side is ALWAYS going to be going the wrong direction according to murphy's law.

Agreed.

Incra got it right:

71WO1su1RRL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.aa8dc35c1fbb74da4f9b0479477c05c9.jpg

Well, I didn't win the argument to have zero on the same end, BUT, we are launching a right-to-left reading version. Got the first one off the laser a few hours ago, it's being photographed as I write this and we will have it on the web site in a day or two. That's the good news...the bad news is we sold so many of the left-to-right reading versions that it is going to be a few weeks before we can ship any of the new version. 

• 2 months later...

Yeah just wasted half a sheet of ply because of their retarded insistence on marking out their rulers the wrong way. Having to read the number on the side away from the blade and transfer across to the blade size is just (#&$@ stupid. No more woodpeckers products in my shop.

• Like 1