Sign in to follow this  
Hammer5573

Garnet Shellac

I’m planning to finish my next federal style project with garnet shellac. I’ve used shellac numerous times but I’ve never used this color. Is there anything untique to using this type of shellac?

I have used blonde and garnet and everything, application, dry time, sanding between coats all seem to be the same.  I have sprayed and brushed both.  Only difference is the color, to my knowledge.

Even coats are smart. Any tinted clear finish applied unevenly will end up showing light and dark areas. Brush, rag or spray will work just use an even pattern. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses. Based on your instructions I assume that, on a Federal style project, that I should:

1. Apply garnet shellac

2. Apply stringing and inlays

3. Apply clear shellac

is this correct...?

You definitely don't want garnet shellac on your holly stringing because you will loose its nice white appearance.  you also need to protect the areas where th stringing and inlays will go from the shellac or the adhesive may not hold properly.

6 hours ago, Chet said:

You definitely don't want garnet shellac on your holly stringing because you will loose its nice white appearance.  you also need to protect the areas where th stringing and inlays will go from the shellac or the adhesive may not hold properly.

x2 right on the money Chet.