Dust collection hose

I'm routing my smaller dust collector (3/4 hp, 850ish CFM) into my shop from an extension I built. I will be putting a y fitting (4" of course) into the wall of my shop so one line can go to the tablesaw and the other a loose hose. For the loose hose I was thinking about making it smaller, I know the CFM will be lower if I used a 2" or 3" hose but the velocity will be higher... Is it even worth it to downgrade hose size for velocity, I want something with alot of suction so I can use it on my drill press and mitersaw. Or should I stick with the 4"?

- thanks p.s, the attached photo is the extension I built for my dust collector and compressor

IMG_20181002_184054635.jpg

• Like 1

CFM is more effective at carrying away dust for woodworking than velocity is so keep the 4". The resistance from smaller pipe not only increases resistance but also will decreases flow more quickly per unit of pipe. The chips we create are small and don't need a lot of velocity. If you are running into not enough suction my suggestion is an upgrade to the collector. The harbor freight model can be had for very little and does an excellent job. If i hadn't promised mine to a friend i'd offer it to you.

• Like 2