planter finish

namluke

Hi, i have made a couple of small planters out of redwood pine. (Attached)

I want to stain them but i also would like to protect them, can anyone recommend what i can use? 

I've tried boiled linseed oil but not 100% sure thats any good as i noticed water is still absorbed by the wood when it gets some on it.

Many Thanks for your help as always.

Planter.jpg

Redwood pine ? Looks like regular pine to me. A film forming finish will work for awhile then need recoating. Only way an oil finish might work is if the blocks are soaked/saturated, but that might bleed oil for quite a long time. True old growth redwood will last for decades and weather to a silver gray color with no treatment at all. Adding some small feet like tack on furniture glides would let any moisture leak out and evaporate. 

I would try to find plastic cups that your plants could nest into if you can increase the size of the hole to accommodate a cup with no drain. Carefully remove the plant to water it, let it drain for a bit then put it back in your planter blocks. 

You made some interesting planters but wood and plants almost always have a short downhill relationship.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 11:07 PM, wdwerker said:

Redwood pine ? Looks like regular pine to me. A film forming finish will work for awhile then need recoating. Only way an oil finish might work is if the blocks are soaked/saturated, but that might bleed oil for quite a long time. True old growth redwood will last for decades and weather to a silver gray color with no treatment at all. Adding some small feet like tack on furniture glides would let any moisture leak out and evaporate. 

I would try to find plastic cups that your plants could nest into if you can increase the size of the hole to accommodate a cup with no drain. Carefully remove the plant to water it, let it drain for a bit then put it back in your planter blocks. 

You made some interesting planters but wood and plants almost always have a short downhill relationship.

Thank i have taken your advise on board.

Is there a wood stain i can use that will also protect the wood, they arent going to be in contact with lots of water, but i would like to avoid the wood from becoming water stained.