Sign in to follow this  
Cliff

Hinges for glass doors

Anyone familiar with hanging glass doors? Size - roughly 2' wide by 55" tall? Maybe 1/4" thick. Opening outward like side by side refrigerator doors. I wanted to use Brusso but I don't know what to look for or even if they have such things. Any suggestions or tips? Or a company that is just as good as Brusso that might have what I need? 

55" tall ? Check with your glass supplier. 1/4 may not be enough at that size. Without a frame tempered glass would be needed.  European style concealed hinges come in glass door versions . They mount with holes in the glass and a metal cap on the face side comes in chrome, brass, black and usually a dark nickel finish.  Frameless shower doors hardware is worth a look at the size you want.

Shorter & narrower glass doors can use hinges that use a U channel & set screws to hold the glass. They usually swing on a pivot in a hole top & bottom. Magnetic catches hold the door shut, some press & pop out so no handles are needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

55" tall ? Check with your glass supplier. 1/4 may not be enough at that size. Without a frame tempered glass would be needed.  European style concealed hinges come in glass door versions . They mount with holes in the glass and a metal cap on the face side comes in chrome, brass, black and usually a dark nickel finish.  Frameless shower doors hardware is worth a look at the size you want.

Shorter & narrower glass doors can use hinges that use a U channel & set screws to hold the glass. They usually swing on a pivot in a hole top & bottom. Magnetic catches hold the door shut, some press & pop out so no handles are needed.

I had the same thought about the glass thickness - and if you go 5/16 or 3/8, you're probably looking at a 40-45 lb. door.  Pretty sure the shower door hinges could handle that with two hinges per door.  The concealed hinges, I'd guess you'd need at least four per door.  I believe they also have versions of those hinges that don't require a hole in the glass.

Non bore hinges limits size and thickness. Max 1/4" x 39" x 15 3/4". I would be very careful if using these at the max dimensions.

https://www.kitchensource.com/hinges/ha-361.81.900.htm

Lamp is a Japanese high quality brand often used on yachts. 

• Lamp® GH-450 Inset Glass Door Hinge With Catch; 47.8 mm Length x 45 mm Width, Chrome Face Plate, 10 Per Box, 40 Per Carton

• max 8mm thick (5/16 ") x 23" x 47"  2 hinges & catch . no drill type special order $70 a set.

• Like 2

yeah I think the final size in sketchup is looking like 46.5" tall and 24" wide. I'll definitely be talking to a glass supplier. I just need to know what hinges I'm using because then I know how much room I got for the shelf pins/shelf, as all that (hinges/shelf pins) are going to be on the same face of the leg - at least I think. 

I like the european ones.