Boat Builder's Bevel Gauge

ben_r_

LINK

main_700_ott_boatbuildersbevelgauge_2.jp

Not exactly sure why they called this bevel gauge a "Boat Builders" version, but it does seem to be a nice looking option. I have their 7" non-boat-builders version as well as the angle plate (LINK) and really like it. This 3" model looks like it would be convenient, however I'm not sure how I feel about there not being a way to tighten/lock down the blade. Seems like being able to lock down the blade tightly would be a standard requirement of any bevel gauge. Any thoughts on this latest OTT?

31 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

With no active lock I am skeptical it would work well for me. I knock bevel gauges out of adjustment all the time.

Yea that definitely makes me feel like it would be a no go. So what is it about Boat Builders exactly that they dont need a blade lock on their bevel gauges? Or is that name they used just marketing BS?

14 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have a different model by Shinwa

https://www.amazon.com/Sliding-T-Bevel-8-Blade/dp/B0037XS27A

I like that lock is on the end of the handle, so it can rest flush on either face.

As far as the above tool, boat building has a lot of internal corners, so I can imagine the appeal of not having the arm extending beyond the vertex, but I agree a lock seems appropriate.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

LINK

BoatBuildersBevelGauge_Eblast_092018-4.j

Not exactly sure why they called this bevel gauge a "Boat Builders" version, but it does seem to be a nice looking option. I have their 7" non-boat-builders version as well as the angle plate (LINK) and really like it. This 3" model looks like it would be convenient, however I'm not sure how I feel about there not being a way to tighten/lock down the blade. Seems like being able to lock down the blade tightly would be a standard requirement of any bevel gauge. Any thoughts on this latest OTT?

"Boat Builders" refers to the function of taking off angles from existing structure. It happens a lot in boat building and in remodeling. In a furniture or cabinet shop it isn't going to come up as often, unless you're repairing or matching. 

The tool is designed to fit into or around an existing angle and hold its position without "tweaking" the clamp on a normal bevel gauge. The pressure against the blade isn't coming from the scales. The spring washers that apply the pressure are designed to take thousands of open-close cycles without a change in tension. Yes, if you drop it or bump it, you're likely to change the setting. But if you take off an angle and immediately transfer it, it isn't going to move and you're not going to be guessing whether the tension was too tight to truly fit into what you were trying to measure. What is less apparent from the photos and text is just how thin and light these tools are. They're so much easier to carry around than a traditional bevel gauge. 

• Like 1

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    luanaroly
    Newest Member
    luanaroly