I need a project suggestion for making a picture frame as a wedding present...

I have a good friend that is getting married, and I want to make for her a wedding present. I have a good amount of white oak that I'd like to use up. It is in the form of 5" wide hardwood floor planks. They are 3/4" thick but have 1/4" deep grooves routed into the under-side of them. They also have a tongue and groove along each side and each end. So, depending on the project, if I need flat boards, I resaw off 1/4" to get rid of the unattractive grooved surface underneath... and I rip off 1/2" on each side of the boards and ends to get rid of the tongue and groove. All of this wood was free, and it really is gorgeous wood, so I don't mind the work.

I'd like to make my friend a picture frame... a really unique, nice, and high-end picture frame from this wood. I am not at all going for a "look... reclaimed wood floors" look. I hate to admit it, however, but I've never actually made a decent picture frame. That is usually Woodworker 101 I'd think, but I just dove right into bigger projects right from the start. So I do not have a built up mental lexicon of picture frame designs. Can any of you guys recommend a design for a decent sized picture frame made from white oak that must be handled as I've described above? I appreciate you guys' help!

Do a search on here for picture frames, specifically one by @gee-dub great frame and looks beautiful. Incorporate some contrasting wood as he did, be aware that what you’re using for wood is not the best to start with but if that’s all you have.....also if the flooring is pre-finished I have heard that stuff is tough on planer blades. As usual post some pictures when done, search web for some ideas and do some test cuts to make sure you are right on 45 degrees, use stops for length and so on   

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Gee-dub, so in the last pic , the frame is actually flat on the surface and the tiger maple makes it look like it’s thicker on the outside edges? Those are all beautiful, as are the photos! 

Correct, that stock is flat with just a small 1/4 round profile. The chatoyant quality in the mahogany and the maple provide the look. And thanks :)

Is the groove wide enough to use to use to hold the glass?  Even if not, you could cut one side off to leave a rabbet to hold the glass.  In addition to the lovely mitered frames above, you could also do half laps at the corners and pin with a decorate fastener:  I've used gun blue to blacken copper nails and they look pretty nice.