danbell78

Bunk Bed Build

This will be my first attempt at a Project Journal.  Hopefully you can learn something from it and I can learn something from you as well.

So the project is a set of bunk bed for my 5, almost 6 year old twin daughters.  Wife and I bounced between simple and complex ideas and landed on something somewhere in between I would say.  Probably more complex then needed, but should be a pretty fun build.  Here is the image that is inspiring the design.  I am not a Sketchup or other modeling software user, so hand drawn plans on paper is my method.  (I spend all day at work in front of a computer, and worked my way out of modelling there (engineering) so I don't want to spend my free time doing that!).  Changes from the picture (Ana White...) and the actual design is that I will be using all solid maple, so the head/foot boards will be real slats instead of slated nailed to plywood.  I am also removing the drawers and just going with a bookcase style on that end.  The other end will be configured as a little desk area.  

Wood was milled ~1 year ago and has been drying in the basement since. As I started into the stack I checked a few boards and they read either same or lower then any other boards in my shop, so I think it is dry enough.  

Step 1 was to go through and get the bulk of it sorted a bit for size/straightness and then ripped on the bad saw down to under 6" so I could run it across the joiner.  

By the end of the day I had found the 4 longest pieces I needed and got them worked down S3S and ready to be the rails.  

cabin bunk system 1.jpg

IMG_20171211_234433106.jpg

IMG_20181027_144205430.jpg

IMG_20181027_144312585.jpg

IMG_20181027_144316997.jpg

IMG_20181027_144331825.jpg

• Like 2

I am way past needing bunkbeds in my house, even for grand kids but I am certainly going to follow this.

i'm in for this one, i like the detailed drawings, absolutely needed on a project of that size. i will come clean and admit i bought bunk beds for the grandkids, just for when they stay at our house so it's not like a heirloom like yours are going to be, great start sir!

• Like 1

Got a quick work session in last night and got the top and bottom rails for head and foot boards down to S3S.  Still a little clean up on a couple, but the dust collector was full and I didn't want to mess with that at the end of the night.  Started the night with an empty bag on the dust collector,  hour and a half, and 8 4ft rails later it was full!  

Last picture shows the long side rails, resting on the lumber rack.   

IMG_20181105_221747816.jpg

IMG_20181105_221806141.jpg

IMG_20181105_222019630.jpg

IMG_20181105_221917389.jpg

• Like 2

Spray it with a shellac before the WB it'll be just as fast and easy but will add some warmth or you could try endurovar for the first coat.

• Like 1

On the shellac first coat recommendation, I have a HVLP set up, but have never sprayed shellac.  Is it OK to spray shellac with a made shift spray booth and my furnace blower air filter set up?  or would you recommend brushing on that coat of shellac? Thanks

Spray it. Shellac is alcohol based so there is a flammability risk. Don't really know the details of your spray setup so it's hard to say. If your concerned about it i apply a lot of shellac with a cotton rag.

38 minutes ago, danbell78 said:

On the shellac first coat recommendation, I have a HVLP set up, but have never sprayed shellac.  Is it OK to spray shellac with a made shift spray booth and my furnace blower air filter set up?  or would you recommend brushing on that coat of shellac? Thanks

I generally spray my shellac just outside my garage on the driveway. Never have had any issues with it.