Sign in to follow this  
DerekMPBS

Throwback Thursday

What is the price on the Compass plane ? 4 th one down on the right side of the page. I've got one and have even used it a few times. 

Yeah those prices look way different then the Lie Nielsen catalog from 2018 ;)

That's pretty cool that they have that and in such wonderful condition too!

21 hours ago, Tmize said:

What was the weekly bring home pay back then? Like $5 a week?

I did a bit of Google searching to find out, but didn't have a lot of luck, except for things like an Expo in 1901, which paid carpenters $55 to $65 for a week, but that was unusually high for the short term job.   Otherwise, in 1901, .50 an hour was a high paying job in the financial world.  It cost $1.19 to feed a family of four, and women didn't work, so most people worked a half day to be able to eat.

So .30 cent an hour would probably be average journeyman pay back then. So that not has changed comparing journeyman pay now to price of handtool now ( excluding battery/power tools)

First thing that comes to my mind is why was there a 1902 Sears catalogue on their counter? I’m surprised that thing survived the privy days. 

Coop, the catalog belonged to my wife's grandfather and was passed down to his son, who kept it.  My wife will get it once her dad passes.  It makes a great conversation starter.

Passing on magazines seems to be a trend? Amazing at the prices of things over a hundred years ago. Plus look at the income of people. People though Henry Ford was crazy paying his workers five dollars a DAY!

Reminds me of a sign in an antique shop- Grandma bought it. Mom threw it away.  I bought it back.

My Grandfather kept a General Store that his Father had built right after the Civil War.  We have one of his suppliers catalogs from about that time.  It has a hard back, and has everything a general store would need to stock, including steel beds, coffins, and several hundred pages of stuff.  There is a lot of hardware in it, but not many tools.  I guess Sears covered everything else.