Entry/Hall Table


Recommended Posts

Great looking table.  I agree; that subtle gap for the floating top is like a delayed treat.  One may not notice it till their second or third look at the table.  Again, I find myself being drawn to spraying when I see how easily you spray right there in the shop.  Obviously there is a level of experience and familiarity but, not having a spray booth or a finishing room has always kept me from getting serious about spraying.  Sorry . . . I'm wandering.  The table is a beaut and the client loves it so . . . win-win.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gee-dub said:

Great looking table.  I agree; that subtle gap for the floating top is like a delayed treat.  One may not notice it till their second or third look at the table.  Again, I find myself being drawn to spraying when I see how easily you spray right there in the shop.  Obviously there is a level of experience and familiarity but, not having a spray booth or a finishing room has always kept me from getting serious about spraying.  Sorry . . . I'm wandering.  The table is a beaut and the client loves it so . . . win-win.

Thanks Gee!  I only spray WB in the shop like that but, it does work.  Takes a little time to get the shop set up but, I think it's worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cover any cast iron with a blanket or 1/4" ply scraps, I cover the bench/ outfeed table/ assembly table with 1/4" MDF then put out painters pyramids and each piece gets carefully wiped down for dust with a micro fiber cloth before  being set down gently for spraying. Space parts with enough room for the spray gun to get between parts. Remember to sand and spray some scraps as control/ sample/ test subjects. Test for dryness on those scraps ! This avoids fingerprints on actual surfaces that will need to be sanded and re sprayed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that is gorgeous.  The slight touch of sapwood on the front apron is beautifully done.  And gee-dub stole your thunder ;) because I didn't notice the floating top from the picture at first.  I need to run outside and take of some yardwork but I'm looking forward to settling in and enjoying the video later today.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alan G said:

That's a great looking table!

What epoxy are you using to come out of clamps in a few hours?

How long are you waiting after the application of the ARS to spray the ploy?

It's West Systems with the fast hardener..  Top be fair, it was in clamps for probably 6 or 7 hours.

Was probably 1/2 a day between the ARS and poly.  

Because I needed to finish this and one more project before heading out for work, I did push the envelope a bit on my timing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ..Kev said:

It's West Systems with the fast hardener..  Top be fair, it was in clamps for probably 6 or 7 hours.

Was probably 1/2 a day between the ARS and poly.  

Because I needed to finish this and one more project before heading out for work, I did push the envelope a bit on my timing.

Ha! Okay. In the video when you said a few hours I thought you had some sort of super fast cure stuff!

i assume you haven’t had issues going over the ARS so quickly with WB poly?

what did you use GF High performance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Ha! Okay. In the video when you said a few hours I thought you had some sort of super fast cure stuff!

i assume you haven’t had issues going over the ARS so quickly with WB poly?

what did you use GF High performance?

No issues..  Pretty standard finishing process for me on darker woods.  Yes, GF High Performance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ..Kev said:

No issues..  Pretty standard finishing process for me on darker woods.  Yes, GF High Performance.

I'm curious as to how you got to this as 'standard' (ARS followed by WB)...is that just to bring out the color of the darker woods?  Why not stick with the ARS for the whole thing?

Also...how thick is the top?  it looks pretty beefy....and it 'floats' very nicely.

Beautifully done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jfitz said:

I'm curious as to how you got to this as 'standard' (ARS followed by WB)...is that just to bring out the color of the darker woods?  Why not stick with the ARS for the whole thing?

Also...how thick is the top?  it looks pretty beefy....and it 'floats' very nicely.

Beautifully done.

I use the ARS to bring out the color, yes.  From there, I get more protection out of the WB without changing that color that I like.  Also, because there's no VOCs or off gassing, I can put it in the house or ship it to a client right away.  The WB also dries quicker so I can get through the finishing process faster as well.

That top is about 1 5/8"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lucasd2002 said:

I really like that table.  You make it look easy.

Thanks.  In reality, it is a super easy table to build.  Even the sliding DTs aren't hard, it's just a matter of steps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.