bleedinblue

Moving large machines...sanity check

I don't know how to drive one but i have the phone number of a few bobcat engineers.... they don't know how to drive them either :D

Many years ago a neighbor was a heavy equipment operator. He used his Bobcat to remove 2 sections of my fence then pulled the post, that gave him room to drive the dump truck in and fill behind a retaining wall I built. He put the fence back and you couldn't tell once the tire tracks faded away.

3 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Hurray!!

So how much was the rental for future reference?

$110/half a day, a little more for the forks and the trailer. 

After all the talk about it, you did it the absolute best way!   I knew nothing about that kind of Bobcat before, but now it's apparent that it's the right tool for the job for an old basement we have to clear, and dig out sometime in the future.   I'm glad forks were available for it.  I was worried about the crate, and a small bucket.

• Like 1

There was lots of ways to skin this cat, but I'm completely satisfied with this one.  I'm confident that a lot of the ideas floated in this thread can be used by others. 

Nice! For $110 probably the best and quickest way to do it. Man it was definitely a snug fit through that gate LOL

8 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

So did the lube stain the wood around the gate ?

That’s for darn sure! That was tight. Way to go blue. Congrats. 

Lol.  The squeeze through the gate wasn't quite as tight as it looks in the picture.  It was certainly tight, but I had a couple or three inches of room on each side.  I could have gained more by taking the gate door off, but that wasn't needed.  

If I was smarter, I would have indeed uncrated the Hammer while I still had the bobcat.  Apparently when you attach a couple of supplied bolts to the back of the Hammer, it is suggested that you use a pallet jack to lift the Hammer up by it's chassis and the bolts to get it off the crate and onto the floor.  That would have saved the ramp building I am doing now.  :rolleyes:  I've literally worked on it at about fifteen minutes at a time, but the mobile base is almost assembled under the Hammer and the ramp is almost built.  I'll have it on the floor in another fifteen minute session or two :D

Almost time to start thinking about electricity, but that'll be for another thread since this one should be dedicated to it's intended topic.

I have a few 1" 36" long wide 4/4 hardwood "levers" in my shop for moving my jointer sideways or shifting other machines around. These levers maybe have been scraps from a project.

58 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Apparently when you attach a couple of supplied bolts to the back of the Hammer, it is suggested that you use a pallet jack to lift the Hammer up by it's chassis and the bolts to get it off the crate and onto the floor. 

Wouldn't it be nice for the manufacturer to go over the shipping container, un-crating and set up with the customer before the sale.

Laguna had an un-boxing and set up video for the P-Flux I bought and even though the pallet it came on was different from the video I had a pretty good idea what I was going to have to deal with.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

If I was smarter, I would have indeed uncrated the Hammer while I still had the bobcat.  Apparently when you attach a couple of supplied bolts to the back of the Hammer, it is suggested that you use a pallet jack to lift the Hammer up by it's chassis and the bolts to get it off the crate and onto the floor.  That would have saved the ramp building I am doing now.  :rolleyes:  I've literally worked on it at about fifteen minutes at a time, but the mobile base is almost assembled under the Hammer and the ramp is almost built.  I'll have it on the floor in another fifteen minute session or two :D

Almost time to start thinking about electricity, but that'll be for another thread since this one should be dedicated to it's intended topic.

I did the ramp route getting my a3-41 down. It worked fine, other than I needed three tries to get the area around clear enough to get the thing off the pallet with the pallet jack. It was bigger than it looked. :)

Your pallet looks way more beefy than mine... of course, UPS freight ripped one of the pallet skids off moving it, so the whole thing was sketchy anyway. Looking forward to the electricity thread.