Tools for Glueing huge areas

treesner

Hey guys I’m glueing big pieces of plywood together pretty frequently and wondering if there’s a more efficient way to do it.

do you think this oil bottle technique would work for the wood glue? I like the idea of having more of a mechanical advantage over squeezing the bottle.

for spreading the glue I used that rockler glue bottle with a roller for awhile but got tired of cleaning off the glue around the nozzle and on the sides of the wheels. Now I just squeeze out glue then take the roller (that’s glued and doesn’t spin) and push the glue around with that 

I've used glue bots for a long time without any real issues..  They do wear out but, are inexpensive enough to not worry too much about replacing them.  Mine usually last me better than a year before considering replacement.  If I actually did anything to help keep them clean, I'm sure they'd last much longer.

For large surfaces, I use the glue bot and an ink roller.  I just soak in a bowl of water between uses.

For the last 15 or so years I have been using a three tip cake-decorating bottle.  It is about 2" wide, has three tips in a row, and holds about twice as much glue as regular bottles.  This, in conjunction with a 3" roller, has seen me through countless laminations.

The glue roller is usually stored in a sealed plastic container along  with a couple of wet sponges to forestall premature drying of the roller which is rarely cleaned as cleaning is a nuisance and wastes glue............Rick

16 hours ago, treesner said:

What do you clean with? Seems like having a one sided bolt in axel design would be better as less glue to glue the wheel haha 

The brand and style that Lewis pictured comes in various widths, from 1.5”-6”. They also make an all plastic framed version that has rollers that easily pop in and out for cleaning and to use different types of rollers. That style comes in 4”. 

Other brands may offer different widths and frame styles.