Drawer slides for super wide drawers?

Cygnus A

I build a wide dresser for my kids, and the drawer slides ended up failing. They never really worked right, but now they are completely broken. The drawers are about 50 inches wide, 8 inches tall, and 23 inches deep. I need something heavy duty that wont break the bank. Any suggestions? Do I need to use bottom mount slides?

Lateral filing cabinet slides. KV makes a good one. Usually recommended for up to twice the depth of the drawer,so a 24" deep drawer is good to 42" wide. KV 8520 or KV8525. 175 lbs capacity . I have pushed the width some past that but you have to treat the drawer reasonably, it will fail under abuse. They ain't cheap and may have to be specially ordered, many suppliers just don't stock them.

• Like 1

This may sound a little strange but I would serioulsy consider bottom glides - 2 them, oneaobut 12" in from each side of the drawer.  2 bottom glides make for a very solid (no side to side sloppiness.  I have use 2 on much smaller drawers and I just love the way they feel.

11 hours ago, Chris208 said:

What kind of slides did you use that failed?

Standard KV 100lb slides. I forgot the exact model. 

10 hours ago, Tpt life said:

How they failed is also key. 50” is super wide and likely needs center support/guidance. 

There was lots of side to side woble. Since the drawer was so wide, it was easy to pull out 1 side only causing the slides to bind. 

10 hours ago, RichardA said:

Just a question.  Why would you make 50" wide drawers for a children's dresser?

It looked great.. No other reason. The dresser is for 2 kids.