Fishing Rod Holder

Chestnut

That would be a great device for lath stuff. With the angled bottom the top support is almost completely unnecessary. for smaller tools like lathe tools if you put a bit more separation between the bottom and the first support the top support isn't needed. Right now it's spaced about 3.5" from where the rod handle stops to the top of the first support. In hindsight a larger hole like 1.5" diameter would be better.

18 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I usually see them stacked in a corner, or piled in a garbage can. 

The fishing rods not the fishing rod holders right? :D Sorry the image of a bunch of the fishing rod holder piled in a garbage can is entertaining and makes me laugh.

They were easy to make i am tempted to make a few extra designed in a way that i could leave the top support off and cut their height off a lot shorter so storage is easier or if needed piling in a garbage can :P.

• Haha 2

Nice project. Not familiar with Russian olive wood. Nice grain. What did you use to finish it? One good thing about storing rods like this is keeping them separated so the rod blank isn't damaged. May I suggest a piece of felt on the top to protect the rod blank? I did a search a while back and came up with all kinds of rod racks, simple using two or three boards to complicated with the rack at the top and a storage cabinet at the bottom. Tried to find the website for the details but can't get it.

Remember- The one who dies with the most fishing rods, wins! Last count for me- 26 rods and 23 reels. Have two rod racks that can hold up to 24 rods without reels. With reels, 12 rods.

36 minutes ago, Bankstick said:

Nice project. Not familiar with Russian olive wood. Nice grain. What did you use to finish it? One good thing about storing rods like this is keeping them separated so the rod blank isn't damaged. May I suggest a piece of felt on the top to protect the rod blank? I did a search a while back and came up with all kinds of rod racks, simple using two or three boards to complicated with the rack at the top and a storage cabinet at the bottom. Tried to find the website for the details but can't get it.

Remember- The one who dies with the most fishing rods, wins! Last count for me- 26 rods and 23 reels. Have two rod racks that can hold up to 24 rods without reels. With reels, 12 rods.

Wiping poly. The rod doesn't really touch the top support very much at all. For it to damage the road would be a stretch. Future versions of this rack where i don't want to show off wood won't have that support and will stop with the lower support except moved closer to the reel.

Maybe i don't get it but i need 1 rod. A 1 piece light action rod 6' long with a good reel and 5 lb line. I use Firewire or spiderline can't remember. Strung it up years ago and only cut off the end 6" ever year to remove damage from teeth.

• 1 month later...