Sun porch accessories

wtnhighlander

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

That'd go quick with a #4 ;)  Looks great! That's an awfully big did you call it a faux shutter? Interested to see that in it's home once it's finished.

Thanks! The flat parts did go pretty quick with the #4. Its all the burn marks from using my hacked router setup on the coves that will be "fun".

6 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Thanks! The flat parts did go pretty quick with the #4. Its all the burn marks from using my hacked router setup on the coves that will be "fun".

Oh Ick yeah burn marks aren't fun. I saw you were using a gooseneck scraper but for some of the finer details they might not be small enough. Burn marks are my least favorite thing to try and sand away. They are so stubborn.

• Like 1

Quick update:

20181229_181436-01.thumb.jpeg.fe4cd29c4d3dd97aa64a7d2356c49387.jpeg

Yesterday, I installed these decorative connector bolts to lock all the removable parts in place. Next step is to finish routing the "shadow lines" at the corners, and the mid-rail joints. Then disassemble and start the finishing process.

I had to take a break and work on improving dust collection, including a new respirator. That fine oak dust is extremely irritating.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

That's an interesting color and flooring choice for a workshop :D.

I re read the beginning, needed a refresher. So are these going to be interior or exterior? From my reading they sound like they'll be inside the sun porch but on a brick face?

Yeah, I took over my son's model train shed to have some heat for finishing.

Yes, these will be Tapcon-screwed to a brick wall, but in a fully-enclosed sun porch. Room has HVAC, but not in continuous use.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 4:22 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I tried to get started on the bar today, but he threw a design change into the mix, that will require some discussion.

BTW, anyone know the proper term for a furniture leg with a contrasting section at the bottom? Related to a different project, same client.

Wrong :)

Does it refer to a different species of wood or a contrasting physical feature?

30 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Wrong :)

Does it refer to a different species of wood or a contrasting physical feature?

Wood species. He wants to modify the table height to accomodate his knee & hip replacements. Making the legs longer. I figured an accent color at the bottom of the leg is better than any other mod I can think of, short of totally rebuilding the base.

I don’t think there is a term for that but if it is only an inch or two you could attach a pad foot to the end of the leg with a contrasting species and then blend it in with a spokeshave.

Another thing that I have done is used threaded inserts in the bottom of the leg and screwed in some ornate jacking feet. Good for 2 to 3 inches and very simple to achieve.

• Thanks 1

So, here is the (I hope) final design for the "bar".  The large black cube is a fridge, and the large drawer to the left is a trash can.

The bump on the top represents an electrical outlet that will be embedded in a slightly raised 'curb' to prevent any spills from running in.

Red oak with a cherry butcher-block top.

PotterBar.thumb.jpg.5003f81eea5d07299e068296d6469e77.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...