What kind of wood is this?

I ran across this video today on YouTube.

Can anyone identify what kind of wood this old guy is using? The grain is so straight, so evenly spaced, and so tightly spaced... it looks to me like quarter sawn sitka spruce like you would see in an acoustic guitar soundboard. But considering that quarter sawn sitka spruce costs a bajillion dollars, I seriously doubt anyone would be making little trinket boxes out of it. I also do not think that Sitka Spruce is a tree that grows in Asia. I could be wrong all the way around, so I thought I'd ask you guys. 

Anybody else know of a species that looks this much like quarter sawn sitka spruce but might be some other, more native to Japan, wood?

• 2 weeks later...

I found out from the people that made the video that it is called, “Sugi”, which in English is called Japanese Red Cedar. 

This post brings up some questions I have about sourcing some not-so-hardwoods. I am trying to dip a toe into the lutherie waters and maybe make a few acoustic and electric guitars. I will eventually graduate to using the more expensive tone Woods lol Sitka Spruce. But in the meantime, I’d like to practice on some woods that are similar to Sitka Spruce but are available at any old Home Depot or lumber yard. Any suggestions?