gee-dub

Wall Cabinet - Clark Kellogg Inspired

I aways enjoy your journals!  Always loaded with good info!  Beautiful material selection!

13 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I use Grandpa's egg beater drill for delicate work like this.

Thanks for the write up, I always learn new things from your journals.  And now I  have pulled my egg beater out from under the drill press and I will find a place for it the bits I have on my work bench shelf.  I have always been to lazy to pull it out, thanks for the reminder!  Mine came from my grandfather too.

Thanks guys.  I'm just recycling things I learned from others.  The forums are great for sharing what we've learned, learning new things or being reminded that Grandpa's egg beater might be handy.  I had pulled mine out quite a while back during a clean-up-and-organize effort and found a place for it.  It gets used more than I would have thought.

• Like 2

gee-dub you did right by that awesome piece of curly maple!! Looks amazing! I really like all the subtle details that take that cabinet to the next level

Great stuff Glenn.  Glad to see you are finally getting some good shop time after your medical time out.

Great work. I love all of the tips and step-by-step instruction that you provide.  I was actually thinking about the basketball commentator Clark Kellogg when I saw the title. :D

I cut the parts and the joinery for the smaller drawer.  I leave the sides long so I can cut them to the different lengths that will allow me to use them as stops for the irregularly shaped drawer carcass.

1945157653_KelloggInspiredWallCab(107).jpg.268b966543cb901bdf063308dfe8817f.jpg

BTW, I found that the curved sole plane works well as a profile plane for small drawer bottoms ;)

1728686568_KelloggInspiredWallCab(108).jpg.7203778213544533200038ee2d69db81.jpg

Here's the parts.

868977983_KelloggInspiredWallCab(109).jpg.de86d70b5fe4410d2a6bfc4b9db78644.jpg

I used DAP Rapid Fuse on the drawer.  My first work with it.  The short full-cure time really let's small assemblies like this move along.  I can get away with the odd drawer-front to side joinery as these little drawers will experience near-zero pull stress.

1444656014_KelloggInspiredWallCab(110).jpg.ef6ffbad090ecd6947bf957277afd5f8.jpg

The sides set a bit proud at the bottom in order to keep the drawer front from dragging when moving in and out.

842805683_KelloggInspiredWallCab(111).jpg.dc6fa1103911c4067b0750210c8f7186.jpg

I'll use a hand plane to clean up and fine tune the drawers fit.

• Like 2

Looking good gee-dub! There is a lot to this piece. When complete it will look like a relatively simple piece to the untrained eye which I find appealing. 

Really nice work gee-dub! I have been so intrigued by this project I had to go look up that issue of FWW. Truth be told I like your version and may put it on the list to make one day.

55 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

A shooting board makes fitting these fussy little pieces very easy.

I got a notice from LV that mine is on the way!

A little more progress.  Cut the curve on the top, faired it with a shave, cut the angled ends and then use the top as a template for the bottom.

783967362_KelloggInspiredWallCab(123).jpg.b21115449a97b949b3ae6a6c7632451a.jpg

Roughed out part of the profile at the router table using a portion of a large roundover bit.

148828956_KelloggInspiredWallCab(125).jpg.e4aa1340d6f24269f4bf4c232b4899f0.jpg

And used a spoke shave to get it to where I want it.

596211874_KelloggInspiredWallCab(127).jpg.8fe1cbb83a48c81d3b7ec3b60689bfb5.jpg

They will end up oriented like so.

1188042909_KelloggInspiredWallCab(129).jpg.d7c52b923d0ad456d3488e9eef798f27.jpg

More to come.

• Like 2

This is the finish that won the bake off.  Super simple.  Sand with 220 to open up the material a bit, flood with 1-1/2lb cut of clear dewaxed shellac so that is really soaks into the figure.  I apply it with  squirt bottle and follow with a pad in a circular motion to force the liquid deep.   Sand with 320 and repeat, sand with 400.  I will add a paste wax but, that is not present in the pics. 

563123769_KelloggInspiredWallCab(130).jpg.f9b4f304d473a62583ea2ea71b80487a.jpg

The flash really kills the depth of the chatoyance but, you get the idea.

1465239955_KelloggInspiredWallCab(131).jpg.f2b917952e8ab2e86de7b0ea25e1fa9b.jpg

This is just a random cutoff.  I prepared the surface the same as the actual parts. 

• Like 1

Man that is some beautiful curl in that wood! Looks great!! One question why so many domino's on the uprights?

The Domino spacing is right out of Clark's play book.  Sliding dovetail is my preferred joint for this sort of thing.  If I wanted to use Dominos and designed the thing myself I might have used 3 or 4.  I will say that, similar to a sliding DT, the joint is rock solid even before the glue. Maybe that was a deciding factor.  I hope to get the back moving along here and there throughout the week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gee-dub said:

The Domino spacing is right out of Clark's play book.  Sliding dovetail is my preferred joint for this sort of thing.  If I wanted to use Dominos and designed the thing myself I might have used 3 or 4.  I will say that, similar to a sliding DT, the joint is rock solid even before the glue. Maybe that was a deciding factor.  I hope to get the back moving along here and there throughout the week.

Thanks!

This is really great. How big is it? and where do you see it going when completed? Is it wall mounted?

It is about 30" wide and about 8" x 8" high and deep.  Destined for a living room wall.  It is wall mounted.

• Like 1