derekcohen

Coffee table for my nephew

Recommended Posts

On 12/18/2018 at 12:15 AM, derekcohen said:

Coop, no one sells this guide. I think that you are pulling my leg :)

Cut accurate - precise - 45 degree mitres at the ends of a piece of scrap. Glue a fence to one side. The fence ensures that the mitres remain square at all times. The double end means that the guide can be reversed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Sorry, I had reference to the attractive 45* speed square you are using. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 7:41 PM, derekcohen said:

I assembled the carcase today. This began with glueing the one end and, while that dried, fitting the sides of the drawer box ...

2.jpg

4.jpg

Someone predicted that this glue up would be interesting. Was it ever.

I had this plan to glue the ends, attach the drawer box, and then simply drop the top side into place. What could be easier? 

Except ... I realised as I positioned the drawer box dividers in their stopped dados -  and was just about to glue in the other end - that the ends were tails and the top section had pins ... and they needed to be slid in horizontally, not vertically! The order of assembly should have been: fit drawer box to open base, add top section, now add one end and then the other.

I removed the drawer box parts, and attached the top panel to the already glued end. Lifting the top at an angle, the drawer box dividers were wiggled in. And then I discovered that they were 10mm too high! 

Oh hell (or some other descriptive) .. I propped up the top panel, quickly calculated how much needed to be removed on the table saw, did both dividers, rebated the ends again ...

3.jpg

... it fits ... (phew)

.. up ended the monster (which weighed a bloody ton, but I was now a demon possessed of desperation strength!), glued in the last side, and squared the carcase ....

5.jpg

And everything is square ...

1.jpg

I'll clean it up tomorrow, and then start on rounding the ends.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice recovery. Last year I made a little unit that goes under my computer monitor and has some small drawers and a space for the keyboard. Nothing on the scale of this piece, but it did have similar jigsaw challenges as far as the assembley during the glue up. It seemed so simple in concept, but when it was go time, it was a bear getting everything in place, glued and squared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good reminder that doing a dry run of your glue up is wise. It's a practice I am tempted to skip quite often but I force myself.

Looking good so far and an enjoying following along

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a dry run, but with individual parts, not all together. The problem working Jarrah is that it is both hard and brittle. The repeated disassembly is that parts break. This happened with a tail end section, which I had to glue together.

Regards from Perth

Derek

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why i had concerns but part of me was worried that your internal fillet was goign to be too large or radius and look out of place compared to the external fillet. My worries were unfounded because it looks great.

The grain of that wood makes it look like it's not the most fun to work but it looks like your doing an awesome job with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derekcohen said:

I did a dry run, but with individual parts, not all together. The problem working Jarrah is that it is both hard and brittle. The repeated disassembly is that parts break. This happened with a tail end section, which I had to glue together.

Regards from Perth

Derek

 

Ahh, I do remember in the beginning you were worried about the hardness and the brittleness of the Jarrah. 

Looking great so far, looking forward to your next post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great tip with the electrician's tape, I always find making that cut and following the line difficult. 

Enjoying the build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful build thread.  Great progress shots and descriptions of the process.  This piece is going to be quite the heirloom.  It has a "stepped right out of the 60's" feel from my MCM childhood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites