derekcohen

Coffee table for my nephew

That would be a challenge. Correct me but that looks like what they called Danish Modern back in the 50s. My complements on the series of photos. The wood and grain are outstanding and good job on the match. Not familiar with Jarrah but looks like a good wood. BTW, nice shop. Wish I had that much room.

• Like 1

Something tells me Derek's coffee table is going to be far superior to the one in the example photo !  Thanks for bringing us along for the ride !

• Like 1

I love following Derek's work. It's so detailed, and more often than not, I learn a great deal from his work.

• Like 1

Derek, those rounded corners interest me. Do I understand correctly, that you will dovetail in a short section, 45 degrees to the top and sides? I assume then, that you must carve away some material to produce a round corner. How much thicker does the short corner section need to be, relative to the top and sides?

Derek nice to see you have chosen another simple build LOL...I love following your work not only do I learn a lot but it inspires me to continue to push my abilities. Thanks for sharing!!

I’m realitively new here, but your work has quickly become something I look forward to seeing. Thanks for posting and I’m looking forward to following!

Thank you in advance Derek. Always a pleasure to watch a project unfold. And my guess is with exotic skills. Certainly a very special and well equipped shop. I have not heard of Jarrah but it looks beautiful. Where does it grow naturally? 

Thanks for the information on Jarrah wood. As for the lathe, good turning! Will you be turning Jarrah wood? My grandson made pens for his parents' birthdays last year. He picked arbor vita for his dad's pen. Drilled like tool steel! Turned out nice, though.

The pucker must have been tremendous when resawing that piece. Looks like you and the bs handled it VERY well. Good choice in not glueing it up as it came off the saw, pic #9. 

Thanks for sharing I like your 45 degree chisel guide I'll be stealing that one and also plan on trying the blue tape rather than the slight rebate as Cosman shows.

Very well done and from you, I would expect nothing less! I like the guide as well. From where can it be had? 

Coop, no one sells this guide. I think that you are pulling my leg :)

Cut accurate - precise - 45 degree mitres at the ends of a piece of scrap. Glue a fence to one side. The fence ensures that the mitres remain square at all times. The double end means that the guide can be reversed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, as always, thanks for taking the time to take us along.  I always enjoy riding along on your builds.  Great approach for the rounded portions; strength and beauty.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Lachlan Chidley
    Newest Member
    Lachlan Chidley