Miter Bench for the New Shop

..Kev

1 minute ago, Llama said:

Whoever designed this really did a great job! Glad to see an actual modular set-up to accommodate different shop sizes! 

Killer job getting these together so quickly!

Yea, designer had his $h!t together!

I guess I should have called it the "ultimate miter bench" for click bait ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ..Kev said:

Yea, designer had his $h!t together!

I guess I should have called it the "ultimate miter bench" for click bait ;)

Gotta use that click bait man... Something like, "I bought some wood and followed the plans, what followed was completely unexpected!"

• Like 2

Thats going to be a nice station.  That low grade walnut you are using, is there a reason you lumber guy carries it.  It doesn't seem like anything useful for furniture making and I can't think of an uses for it that would have him carrying it all the time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chet said:

Thats going to be a nice station.  That low grade walnut you are using, is there a reason you lumber guy carries it.  It doesn't seem like anything useful for furniture making and I can't think of an uses for it that would have him carrying it all the time.

Probably because guys like me are willing to buy it ;)  In all honesty, I'm not sure.  I sometimes wonder if he picks through the delivery and predetermines what he knows he can't sell and then puts that stuff in the "rustic" pile.  It's rare to find a wide board in this pile.

All those drawer fronts were cut offs from other projects so, not all came from the "rustic walnut" pile.  They were probably cut offs because of defects though.

At $4.99 BF, I'm willing to fill a few knots for shop furniture and trim.

36 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

All those drawer fronts were cut offs from other projects so, not all came from the "rustic walnut" pile.  They were probably cut offs because of defects though

How my old yard handled their cherry and walnut that wouldn't sell. They let the customer do the sorting though.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

How my old yard handled their cherry and walnut that wouldn't sell. They let the customer do the sorting though.

Very definite pile at my dealer!  Last time this pile got down to stuff he just couldn't sell, he sold it all to me for $150.00.  Great for small projects but, not really useable for any major projects.

Kev, 

Thanks for the effort in putting these threads and videos together.  I always learn something watching you work. Your glide position setting jig at about 12 minutes in is a great example.  When I am watching someone do something like, fit a door to a carcass, I learn as much in watching how they work as in what they are actually doing.  I will pick up hints or tips on their methods, body mechanics and all sorts of things.  I imagine others find this as well.  I may be relocating in the years ahead and can certainly benefit from other folks experiences in changing shops.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 7:00 AM, gee-dub said:

Kev, 

Thanks for the effort in putting these threads and videos together.  I always learn something watching you work. Your glide position setting jig at about 12 minutes in is a great example.  When I am watching someone do something like, fit a door to a carcass, I learn as much in watching how they work as in what they are actually doing.  I will pick up hints or tips on their methods, body mechanics and all sorts of things.  I imagine others find this as well.  I may be relocating in the years ahead and can certainly benefit from other folks experiences in changing shops.  Thanks again.

Any idea where you're relocating to?  

Thanks for the kind words!

7 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

What would be the advantage and/or disadvantages to making two boxes. One for the festool and one with the walnut? 

They're built the same, even the dimensions.  Just some have drawers and doors and some have pull out trays for the systainers.  So, it's all modular just kitted out differently.

7 hours ago, ..Kev said:

They're built the same, even the dimensions.  Just some have drawers and doors and some have pull out trays for the systainers.  So, it's all modular just kitted out differently.

What I mean is instead of 4 boxes on the walnut side, why not build it in one or two?

Just now, curlyoak said:

What I mean is instead of 4 boxes on the walnut side, why not build it in one or two?

Ah..  Because I wasn't 100% sure of the configuration and I wanted the ability to change them or move them around if I wanted to.  If I built them all as one, I'd be locked into that configuration.

• 4 weeks later...