Need some input!

Coyote Jim

Hello wood brains!

I am planning on making a couple coffee grinders for Christmas presents. I am buying the hardware from Woodcraft, but the box I will be making. I have never made a box before (still new to woodworking) so I wanted to build a prototype first.

The point of the prototype is so that I can take pics, post the pics here, then all you experts can tell me how I could make it better.

So please have a look. Tell me if I did not properly take wood movement into account or if you see any other red flags.

IMG_2811.thumb.jpg.7175104938e11b755cfd95b581a715be.jpg

Here it is with the lid dry fit, the metal grinder has not been screwed on, it is just sitting there. The wood is just some maple that got left outside in the dirt for a month or so which gave it a little spalting. The spalting is not super attractive.

The box was made using miters and splines. I wanted the continuous grain look which I had never done before. Here they are dry fit together.

IMG_20181111_140037.thumb.jpg.6ff9bb1ca1877cd06516915138d31c14.jpg

You can see in the lower left corner there where I screwed up learned the correct way to do splines.

I glued all that together then glued a bottom on it.

IMG_2807.thumb.jpg.ed2b69f9138de49cd097b59a029b8124.jpg

I do not know why I thought it was important to have a rabbit in that bottom but I did it anyway. In retrospect, that was kind of silly. I also made a very small drawer that is totes cute. The drawer almost disappears when it is closed.

IMG_2808.thumb.jpg.63e379bfc6230e0798e759c9c4b464bd.jpg

This is the underside of the top. I did the rabbit on the top as well, completely unnecessary step. The grinder will be attached using the provided nuts and bolts.

Here she is with the drawer closed and the top on.

IMG_2810.thumb.JPG.3107d33bca27acd59b0ae40e5dfcbf06.JPG

So please let me know what I should do different when I make them again for real. If I did not give enough info in this short write up then please ask away.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

so the top and bottom are the only areas where woodmovement would be a concern but the way to rabbeted it and if you don't glue it is the proper way to address that movement issue. As stated above your box is probably small enough to not have to worry much about it.

the little drawer is awesome also the mitered splined sides are well done. Good work sir. This is something that i'm not sure i'd have been able to do as well. I will admit i don't like miters, i feel like i find every way possible to mess them up, though they look good.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mark J said:

It looks like you put a lot of work into tht.  How thick are pieces making up the front and sides?

I spent an embarrassing number of hours on it for how small and simple it is. Don't care though, just getting some time in the shop learning new things makes me happy.

Also, the front and sides, they are 5/8". Same with the bottom and top. I wanted it to have a bit of heft. The grinder is cast iron and I did not want the whole thing to be top heavy.

35 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

so the top and bottom are the only areas where woodmovement would be a concern but the way to rabbeted it and if you don't glue it is the proper way to address that movement issue. As stated above your box is probably small enough to not have to worry much about it.

the little drawer is awesome also the mitered splined sides are well done. Good work sir. This is something that i'm not sure i'd have been able to do as well. I will admit i don't like miters, i feel like i find every way possible to mess them up, though they look good.

Well...I glued it. I'll cross my fingers that it IS too small to worry about.

I think the rabbets in the top and bottom are a good idea.  Everything looks great to me.  Your construction is sound.  If I was to change anything,  I would probably make it wider and deeper and maybe a little shorter ( if you can) so it didn't looks so much like a cube and a little top heavy, but that is just a personal preference. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chet said:

I think the rabbets in the top and bottom are a good idea.  Everything looks great to me.  Your construction is sound.  If I was to change anything,  I would probably make it wider and deeper and maybe a little shorter ( if you can) so it didn't looks so much like a cube and a little top heavy, but that is just a personal preference. 

19 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I think it rocks! Good job. Maybe what Chet says. 

Hmm...it's not too late for me to shorten it. I'll give it a think.

• 2 weeks later...