I'm Back! (and where I've been)

rodger.

Welcome back ! Glad you recovered fairly well. I had a tablesaw accident when I was in my late teens. Most guys I've seen with a shortened finger. I tried to split my pinkie finger up the middle. Still have a raised  section in the fingernail that's 1/8 kerf wide. Every day afterwards my caution & safety efforts were greatly increased.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try hard to be safe with the machines too and anybody that thinks it's impossible to sustain an injury is just kidding themselves.   My encounter with a bandsaw blade was oddly enough April 1, 2017 but certainly not an April fools dealio.   I escaped with 9 or 10 stitches on my pinky finger.   I completely understand it taking a while to get the mojo for woodworking back.   I don't remember how long I stayed out of the shop, but I do remember the first time I went back and made a cut and I t took a while after that before I started enjoying woodworking again.     Even now I guess I am still somewhat paranoid or maybe before my accident I just thought I was being safety conscious.   I do know with absolute certainty I never want to touch a blade again.   

Very glad you are doing well again. 

• Like 1

Welcome back Rodger.  I'm glad that your injury, though serious, wasn't worse.  It's a scary situation whenever you come in contact with a spinning/moving blade or cutter like that.

I just placed the order for my Sawstop.  I'm getting the 3HP PCS with the 36" T-Glide fence.  I'm looking forward to using it, as my current table saw, a 25 year old Craftsman, has a fence that I don't really trust to be square, so I end up checking it every time I lock it down, which is a pain.  The Sawstop fence will be a joy to use by comparison.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 7:12 PM, Bankstick said:

Glad things weren't too serious. I cut my thumb making a salad- three stitches with one through the thumbnail @$310 total. That's $103.3333 per stitch. Should have gone to medical school. Saws aren't the only dangerous thing.

I’m surprised it wasn’t more than that. Doctors salaries sound nice, but when you consider all that goes into it, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be and is far from easy money. Besides, the majority of that price does not go to the doctor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

I’m surprised it wasn’t more than that. Doctors salaries sound nice, but when you consider all that goes into it, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be and is far from easy money. Besides, the majority of that price does not go to the doctor. 

In Canada, we don't worry about the cost as much, as it's part of our national medical plan. However, we pay in the end (through our ridiculous taxes).