danbell78

Locust - any good

anyone have experience using Locust, what's it good for?  How about drying it (air dry), any concerns?  I have a neighbor that I might be able to get a log or two from to add to my growing pile to get cut up soon.  

Thanks

It's a wood I wish I had some of. I'd use it for raised beds, fence posts, outdoor furniture, and etc. I planted about 40 black locust saplings 2 years ago to hopefully use in the future. 

It also grows very fast, is a hardy tree and is great firewood.

From what I've read is that it dries pretty easily and shrinks very little when drying.

I just planted a honey locust in my front yard - wife's landscaping project.  Plan to use it in 2048......

• Like 2

It's not clear if folks in this thread realize it but black locust Robinia pseudoacacia and honey locust Gleditsia triacanthos are not related to each other.

2 hours ago, phinds said:

It's not clear if folks in this thread realize it but black locust Robinia pseudoacacia and honey locust Gleditsia triacanthos are not related to each other.

Oh course we don't realize it.  It's your job to tell us this stuff!  Where you been, man?

37 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Oh course we don't realize it.  It's your job to tell us this stuff!  Where you been, man?

I mostly hang out a the Wood Barter forum but try to remember to check in here every now and then in case I can help with wood ID.

Oh, and for some reason this forum does not send me email notifications when it should (and yes, I have my account settings set properly, far as I can see, to send notifications).

Hm ... I have to take that back. Now, I DO get notifications. Wasn't getting them for a while

Black locust lumber pretty. But I don’t like to cut it. You need a guy to sharpen band blades for you, are you will run out of sharp blades.

51F4A75E-5B2D-48B2-BF7A-784CA6CCC102.jpeg