PJ882-HH Funny Noise


Recommended Posts

So my jointer has been making an odd noise for a while now. Not even sure when it started but it's been at least 3 months. Today it seemed like it got worse. It functions wonderfully other than the noise it's making. If any one has any ideas let me know.

My trouble shooting thus far was to remove the belt and spin the cutter head. There was no cogging or resistance that would indicate a bad bearing. The cutter head spins butter smooth and doesn't make a peep with the belt off though i can't spin it up much to check.

Nothing is in the belt or making contact with the belt.

The pulley on both the motor and cutter head are no loose to a hand  inspection.

The belt doesn't have any signs of increased wear or really any signs of wear at all.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if it’s similar but I had this problem earlier in the year. The technician from the place that sold it came and checked it out. He replaced the starting capacitor (or something like that). It still starts with a big thunk and then runs normally. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to our Predictive Maintenance guy at work, bearings can produce audible (or even inaudible) indications of coming failure, even though the irregularty that caused the sound vibration can not be felt or heard at lower speeds. I'm betting on a bearing that will eventually get worse, but may last a long time, according to your particular usage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Sounds like bearings to me.  If no loose motion, just run it for a while, and see if it gets worse.   Still cut smoothly?

Yeah cuts smooth as well a HH head jointer can cut i suppose. If i take slower passes it's smoother than my planer which is quite smooth.

2 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

According to our Predictive Maintenance guy at work, bearings can produce audible (or even inaudible) indications of coming failure, even though the irregularty that caused the sound vibration can not be felt or heard at lower speeds. I'm betting on a bearing that will eventually get worse, but may last a long time, according to your particular usage.

Interesting. Well if it's just a bearing i'm wondering if i shouldn't call PM the machine is just over a year old.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drew,  my PM 60C has growled like that as it winds down since I uncrated it just under year ago.  Because it did it from the start I assumed it was normal.  I wonder if for some reason you just started to notice it, kind of like hearing noises in the car because the radio is off.  I would be interested in what Powermatic has to say. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the sound most pronounced on spin down but it's contentious not a single click. Maybe it is just a typical noise like chet said but i'm not sure. It sounds like the pulley on the cutterhead is rocking back and forth making a knock  2 times per rotation. But i checked and the pulley isn't loose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok got it. I can't really pick it out then. 

Like others have said before, you can use a stethoscope or even a metal rod. Firm contact with different parts will make a resonance in the rod. Your finger tip feel is usually good enough to pick it up and at least isolate the where.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Virginia Mark said:

I have the exact model, and mine does not make that sound, yours sounds like  the drive belt slapping against the cover. Does not sound like a bad bearing to me.

Yeah i thought taht too so i ran it with the cover off and watched the belt and that was not the case....

I'm going to check the set screws on the drive pulley and see if it's loose or something. There can't be that many parts to look at  besides the motor there are 2 bearings 2 pulleys and a belt. These machines are really simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email telling me to call customer service ... :huh:. Not even ask for a specific person just call our main number. Thanks for having a useless feature in your business. I can't describe the sound it's making and i can't send you a link to a video over the phone... I have not ever had good luck with JPW's service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible that they only have 1-2 customer service reps, and that they did watch the videos but want to discuss the next steps via phone rather than email. 

In any case, they should have been more informative in their response. Not off to a good start. Hopefully they can turn it around and make it right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnG said:

It is possible that they only have 1-2 customer service reps, and that they did watch the videos but want to discuss the next steps via phone rather than email. 

In any case, they should have been more informative in their response. Not off to a good start. Hopefully they can turn it around and make it right. 

It is possible but why not just call my phone number i included in the message.... I sent the email because i didn't want to sit on hold for 30 min to get a tech guy that will say "Oh it's making a sound hum i'd have to hear that." Maybe I'll call if i get time. I hate making personal calls at work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It is possible but why not just call my phone number i included in the message.... I sent the email because i didn't want to sit on hold for 30 min to get a tech guy that will say "Oh it's making a sound hum i'd have to hear that." Maybe I'll call if i get time. I hate making personal calls at work.

Ah, didn’t realize you provided your number. That is really annoying. I always assumed powermatic would have better service than this. Not much of a “gold standard.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.