NSBrad

Subwoofer Tabletop

So i always see subs ported and I've built boxes both sealed and ported. Can someone convince me why ported is better? I've always prefered the sound from sealed boxes. Though i don't watch moves and mostly listen to rock/metal music with some EDM.

Generality, but ported will give you more dB for a given driver at a given level of power. Ported boxes are bigger & more complex to build though. For ULF, it seems that it's easier to get a lower tune with ported.

Problem with speaker building is that it gets addictive. I built my 4 Atmos speakers & they are every bit as good as the surrounds I paid 4x as much for. Now I'm itching to build a couple of 18" mid bass subs cause, you know, more is better.

I added the big sub primarily for the movies, but now that things are reasonably dialed in, I'm very pleasantly surprised at the subtle yet definite difference it makes with music. 

I wanted to give an update.  I finally got the driver delivered last Thursday.  Friday night was putting it in the box and then the weekend was spent getting it dialed in.  Everything sounds amazing with it.  The bass at the beginning of Edge of Tomorrow blew me away last night.  

I ended up going with the double sided foam tape suggestion.  It looks like it's going to do the trick.  So far it's holding solidly and doesn't look like it's going to move on me.  Thanks again for the great out of the box suggestion.  

Overall I'm super happy with the way the project turned out. It turned out almost exactly the way I envisioned it.  

ZtHVuLr.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Purple and curly ! That's a nice combination I haven't seen before.  

Thanks!  Originally I was thinking of using purpleheart but I really wanted a figured wood for it.  So I experimented to come up with a dye for it.  It was 4 layers of black dye sanded off to get the curls with the last one not sanded down all the way.  I brought it to a light gray/smoke color.  The purple was then applied over it to get the darker purple that I imagined.  The purple transtint alone was way too bright on my test piece for what I had in mind.  I wanted something unique for that driver and I think I got it with purple curly.   :)  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drzaius said:

Purpleheart just turns an ugly brown eventually anyway.

That was honestly my other big reason.  I love it freshly cut but a few years down the road...

OK, @NSBrad, now that you have that one under your belt, surely you realize that you need more :) Something that will give some more mid bass. I'd love to add a couple of 18" Dayton PA460's. They're very efficient & are really strong from about 30Hz or 40Hz on up. That's the range where you really get the chest slam.

Now that I've had a taste of it though, I sure do love me some ULF.

Always need more!  I'd love to build a 2nd 24" to really take care of ULF.  This isn't the only sub in the room.  I already had dual Monolith 12s running.  The RF-7 III fronts also have dual 10s in each but I have those crossed at 60hz after measuring the room in REW.  Since the 24" is running well now I was thinking earlier of reconfiguring the ports on the 12 to lose a big of the low but bump up the mid bass with them.  

With how well the cabinet came out too I have been thinking maybe I need to build more too.  I do have a few sheets of baltic birch in the garage already that are just sitting there collecting dust. :)  I was toying with the idea of replacing my tv stand with a custom one that holds a 15" or 18" on each side with an equipment rack integrated in the center of them for some of the equipment and a side module for stuff like the amps.  I might start toying with layout ideas in sketchup.  

On 12/19/2018 at 5:09 PM, drzaius said:

OK, @NSBrad, now that you have that one under your belt, surely you realize that you need more :) Something that will give some more mid bass. I'd love to add a couple of 18" Dayton PA460's. They're very efficient & are really strong from about 30Hz or 40Hz on up. That's the range where you really get the chest slam.

Now that I've had a taste of it though, I sure do love me some ULF.

Figured I'd give an update on how I've gone crazy in the last year.  I'm just about finished with the attached.  It's hard to tell in the picture but it's four 15" subs with four Earthquake SLAP (passive radiator) firing down.  That's going to be the new console table for the back of my couch to give VNF subs for nice mid-bass and chest slam.  :) 

The picture is of a quick test fit I did last night for the 2 boxes on the stand and the table top.  I had to adjust the stands slightly after it for where the cross supports are in relation to the SLAPs and then I finished painting it.  The table top is still being finished also.  I wanted to get the quick fitting before I put on the next coat last night.  

Since posting about the 24" I decided to go with the purple curly maple as the room's theme.  So far I've also also build a rack for the amps and speaker stands for the rear surrounds to match.  I've been happy with the way it's all turned out so far.  

And @drzaius, if you like ULF you have to do some sort of transducer over subs.  Game changer.  Crowsons are the easy route but they're fairly expense.  What I ended up doing for it and would highly recommend is building a BOSS.  Basically you build a small riser that your seating sits on and then embed the cheap 12" JBL subs open baffle in it.  I can feel down to 4 hz with mine.  It's awesome.  Now's a great time to do it too (or at least get the drivers for it) since Best Buy has the JBLs on sale for $29 for Black Friday.  The pricing is already up for orders.  I snagged another 4 of them just to have with them being so cheap.  

If there's interest in it I can go into more detail about it and Bass EQ (BEQ) since they go hand in hand.  I don't want to go too far off topic down that rabbit hole though unless someone is interested in building one.  It's not fine woodworking but it is woodworking since you're using plywood and other materials. ;)

IMG_3886.jpg

• Like 2

Sounds like you've been badly bitten B). I'll be adding nothing to my setup for now because I'm still really happy with it. But the new will wear off one day...

12 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Be careful what you listen to, that sounds like a good way to give youself a serious case of the ULF runs! :D

Well, Mythbusters actually did a bit on the 'brown note' myth. It was busted.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, drzaius said:

Sounds like you've been badly bitten B). I'll be adding nothing to my setup for now because I'm still really happy with it. But the new will wear off one day...

Well, Mythbusters actually did a bit on the 'brown note' myth. It was busted.

Well, when you get the bug again ask away.  I'm getting deeper into it.  I'm a programmer and actually just started talking to major hardware manufacturer about adding support for some of the stuff we're doing to their forthcoming product.  So I'm deep in the rabbit hole now.  I might actually be the Mad Hatter. ;)

Yes, the brown note was busted but you can still cause issues with it.  I have a couple demo scenes, like the server room scene in Pulse, that actually make me a little woozy from the way the pressurize my room.  It's crazy.  It hits me just right and I'd probably throw up if I did it long enough.  I think it's hitting my equilibrium since the sensation starts to feel like if I'm riding backwards or reading in a car.  

• Like 1