Phenolic vs Cast Iron

namluke

Hi, Im looking to get a router table.

The one im looking at has a Phenolic top, is that any good or should i go for cast iron?

This is the one im looking at is: Jessem Mast R Lift Excell II Table Package with Phenolic Top, Fence & Stand.

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-tools-router-tables-jessem-phenolic-table-with-lift-jessem-mast-r-lift-excell-ii-table-package-with-phenolic-top-fence-stand-jessem+2202kit

Another brand im looking at is a UJK Cast Iron one

https://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technology-professional-router-tables-ax887924

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I've always used particle board for my home made router tables

that's what I've always used, thick, flat, and contact cement on a light colored laminate, as long as its flat and stable i don't care what its made of, a friend has the cast iron top, i wouldn't pay extra for it, good top but expensive.

Agreed on not paying up for the cast. Once you bolt a heavy ass router under it, it'll be plenty strong and vibration free. Jessem seems to know how to build things based on the price they command.

I'm personally a proponent of building yourself a router table/cabinet. If you're newer, it's a good exercise in designing and building. If you're salty, it's a good exercise in restraint as Its Soo easy to go overboard. My router top is a 1 3/4" thick, hard Maple lamination that was a work bench top at SpaceX before a renovation. I cut it into  the size I wanted, dropped a channel in from woodcraft.  The frame was built with hardwood scraps . Cut a cool board into bookmatched mirrors. Skin and drawers are all scrap ply. It's solid, kinda cool looking, and exactly what I wanted.  I don't mind building for in the shop. Your mileage may vary. Proof.

Attach221942_20180901_074514.jpg

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Agreed on not paying up for the cast. Once you bolt a heavy ass router under it, it'll be plenty strong and vibration free. Jessem seems to know how to build things based on the price they command.

I'm personally a proponent of building yourself a router table/cabinet. If you're newer, it's a good exercise in designing and building. If you're salty, it's a good exercise in restraint as Its Soo easy to go overboard. My router top is a 1 3/4" thick, hard Maple lamination that was a work bench top at SpaceX before a renovation. I cut it into  the size I wanted, dropped a channel in from woodcraft.  The frame was built with hardwood scraps . Cut a cool board into bookmatched mirrors. Skin and drawers are all scrap ply. It's solid, kinda cool looking, and exactly what I wanted.  I don't mind building for in the shop. Your mileage may vary. Proof.

Attach221942_20180901_074514.jpg

That is one sweet cabinet!! Nice job. What are those panels some kind of quilted something? They're amazing

Thank you. They are solid 1/4" skins cut off of the back (least impressive) side of a quilted maple block. Not sure if it was originally a guitar blank or what but I got some great stuff out of it. I opened up some amazing figure on the block and these I believe are just enough. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 4:02 PM, pkinneb said:

Probably true but did they sag enough to matter :ph34r:

The average in the test was around .018-.022, more than enough to matter. I built a top out of two 3/4" layers of Baltic birch ply laminated top and bottom with plastic laminate. The top isn't very big and even that sagged a little over time. We tend to forget how heavy a router and lift are. The steady weight will cause it to sag over time.

Cast iron won't have that problem.

I have the bench dog table with a phenolic insert. Granted I have a large, Triton 3 1/4 hp router in it, but bottom line, it does sag, and it’s a problem. Eventually, I will fix it, but for now, I get by. I like the suggestion of building one. Whatever you use, given the right thickness and span, it will suffice.