Steve B Anderson

Diamond Hone Size

I took the plunge and ordered a 8 x3 DMC extra fine diamond steel plate. I don’t use hand tool All that often except when I’m fitting tenons then the shoulder plan, 1/4” and 1/2” chisel’s get used a lot. I may eventually get some courser grits but for now just being able to quickly dress up the tools as I use them will be a big help.

4 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

8x3 would be like driving down a super highway! I'm used to narrow dirt roads :)

I went with 3” because I do have plane iron the is 2” wide, plus I got the plate on Amazon for $47 so I thought why not go for the 3”.

• Like 1

I guess I missed this since my name wasn’t mentioned in vain as I’m accustomed, nor should it be mentioned in a sharpening course. In my experience, the 3” x 8” that I have leaves plenty of room for all of my plane blades. 

On 12/19/2018 at 7:00 PM, Steve B Anderson said:

I went with 3” because I do have plane iron the is 2” wide, plus I got the plate on Amazon for $47 so I thought why not go for the 3”.

I have some wider blades too; I end up skewing the angle a bit when I sharpen on "normal" stones. :)

31 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I have some wider blades too; I end up skewing the angle a bit when I sharpen on "normal" stones. :)

I received my stone today and I love this thing. I sharpened my 1/8”, 1/4” and 1/2” chisels with it tonight. The 8” length is just right using the MKII honing guide. I haven’t put my plan iron on it yet but I can already tell that the 3” width of this plate will work just fine. I highly recommend this diamond plate.

On the water stones, don't forget to consider combo stones.  For similar money you can get the effectiveness of 2 stones.  At the very least it's a good entry point.