Cutting a bevel on the edge of a curved board

AndrewPritchard

I'm in the process of designing a TV armoire type cabinet - mostly to keep my cat away from cables :D

I trying to figure out how to do the bevel on the curved edges at the tops of the doors. I figure some kind of router bit, but that would probably mean buying a new router bit just for this one project which I'm not so keen on. I don't have mind doing it by hand if that's the easiest, but machine is obviously faster. The long straight bevels could be done on a table saw for example, but I can't see how to do the curved edges safely.

Any suggestions?

07483l2_20.jpeg

If you are talking about the raised panel part of the door (versus the frame), a raised panel bit would be a common way of doing this.  I agree they are pricey so you will have to decide if it is worth it.  I'm sure there are ways to do it by hand but, if there is a fillet where the bevel and the field meet (I can't quite tell from the pic) that could be challenging along the arch for someone like me.

560510979_Raisedpanelprofile.JPG.247332231a94a939f3d932bb0877ebb1.JPG

I used and have a couple of raised panel bits and they work well!  Be sure to slow your router speed way down if you go this way!

They do become a bit tricky around curves so, you'll have to be careful there as well.

Where are you located?   Perhaps a member here has a bit you could borrow for the project?

I have a raised panel bit, but I don't like the profile for this particular situation. It doesn't need to have the fillet, though I think it is common. The one I have creates an ogee, but I rather like the simpler shape above.

52 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

I used and have a couple of raised panel bits and they work well!  Be sure to slow your router speed way down if you go this way!

They do become a bit tricky around curves so, you'll have to be careful there as well.

Where are you located?   Perhaps a member here has a bit you could borrow for the project?

I'm in Nova Scotia, which is a very low population density area. I might look at a different router bit. My local Lee Valley has a bit that would form a bevel like the one above for about $80 plus tax (CAD of course)

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 51 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian