Ronn W

Best Hold fast

Recommended Posts

Opinion time. Who makes the best hold fast for the money?  Never had any and am thinknling about getting a couple.  I have a 3" maple top with 3/4" holes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two are from blacksmith Peter Ross and they are exceptional but they were $85 bucks a few years ago.  One thing I’ve heard about the TFWW holdfasts That Chestnut has is occasionally they are too smooth to hold in certain benches.  However, sanding or dimpling seems to usually fix it.  Also heard good things about the one from black bear forge.  There’s been several that have come out in 5he last year or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-HOLDFAST.XX/Holdfasts_by_Gramercy_Tools

Others are more expensive but they all are the same. These are the ones i have that i told you about and they work great for me.

Is your top really 3"? Looked thinner than that.... huh.

I have to agree, for the money I don't see how you can beat these. I love my pair of them. I glued leather on the business end, which helped them grip much better. They work well in both my sliding dead man, which is 1 3/4", as well as in my 4" top (both hard maple).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to make some  myself, but after pricing A36 rod, with shipping, the material cost alone was close to half what the Gramarcy ones cost.  Then there was gas on top of that, and probably screwing up a couple to find just the right spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't beat the Gramercy ones for just plain holding power.  There are plenty of others, but most have some little trick or two.  Gramercy hold fasts, hold fast period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Is your top really 3"? Looked thinner than that.... huh.

Good eye - it's really 2 3/4"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have a pair of Gramercy hold-fast. If you get a set take some sandpaper to the shaft. It will help them grab better in the hole. For the money, there really good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on general consensus of thei illustrious group of sawdust creators,   I have purchase a pair Gramercy hold fasts.  I also made a wood mallet.  It's a little light but it works. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Based on general consensus of thei illustrious group of sawdust creators,   I have purchase a pair Gramercy hold fasts.  I also made a wood mallet.  It's a little light but it works. 

Use some contact cement and glue some leather pieces on them, It'll hold better and not mar your work piece.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another +1 for Gramercy holdfasts. 

I had to rough mine up with some 80 grit sandpaper. My bench top is thicker than most (3 1/2"), and they simply would not work out of the box. I also used a very smooth boring bit for my dog holes, so that might have been a factor also. The holdfasts work great now, though! Definitely hard to beat for the price!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, SawDustB said:

I have to agree, for the money I don't see how you can beat these. I love my pair of them. I glued leather on the business end, which helped them grip much better. They work well in both my sliding dead man, which is 1 3/4", as well as in my 4" top (both hard maple).

Could you find them in Canada or did you have to order them from TFWW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SimonR said:

Could you find them in Canada or did you have to order them from TFWW?

Check Lee Valley... they have a deal to sell Gramercy tools in Canada.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Check Lee Valley... they have a deal to sell Gramercy tools in Canada.

 

wow never thought to check lee valley for these since they have the Veritas Holdfasts...sure enough they sell them

 

thanks a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SimonR said:

Could you find them in Canada or did you have to order them from TFWW?

Yes, mine are from Lee Valley too. Considering they're about 1/3 of the cost of the Veritas ones and work well, it's not a hard choice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 10:56 AM, Chestnut said:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-HOLDFAST.XX/Holdfasts_by_Gramercy_Tools

Others are more expensive but they all are the same. These are the ones i have that i told you about and they work great for me.

Is your top really 3"? Looked thinner than that.... huh.

+1 I bought a pair of these while making my Guild Split Top Roubo.  Take some rough sand paper and twist them around a few times.  After that, they bound well in the bench top.  Never had a problem with them.  Made in the USA.  Enough said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now