Sign in to follow this  
joe l

domino joiner

I guess i don't remember how much the bits for the D500 cost. my only thought on the matter is they go for a LONG time. I've done 1,000 tenons on my 6mm and 5mm and they are both going strong. If the cmt make for a tight fitting mortise i guess it works but it might not be worth it long term. Doesn't seem right to spend $1,000-$1,400 on a tool and then cheap out to save $20 on a bit.

Any one tried the taytools dominoes?

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Chestnut said:

I guess i don't remember how much the bits for the D500 cost. my only thought on the matter is they go for a LONG time. I've done 1,000 tenons on my 6mm and 5mm and they are both going strong. If the cmt make for a tight fitting mortise i guess it works but it might not be worth it long term. Doesn't seem right to spend $1,000-$1,400 on a tool and then cheap out to save $20 on a bit.

Any one tried the taytools dominoes?

The taytools tenons do have good reviews as do the CMT cutters.  

So I spent maybe an hour in the shop with the domino. Following directions, I was able to make a perfect frame joint and a perfect fitting shelf with 3/4 plywood , I also ordered  the assortment of loose tenons . Festool also includes bits in the kit. I was not expecting them to include a 4 mm cutter as well. But they did. So, with a little more practice, I have  things to build! Thanks for the tip on Holbren, I checked out the site and will probably try at least one of their bits. I have used CMT  cutters extensively, so they should be of good quality.

• Like 1

Check youtube for Half Inch Shy he has some great videos on using the domino.  He used to be a member here but I haven't seen any posts from him in quite awhile.

Thanks. Did check out a guy from new Hampshire. He had a good three page spread with video and did a very good job explaining and showing how to get started with the 500.

16 hours ago, joe l said:

So I spent maybe an hour in the shop with the domino. Following directions, I was able to make a perfect frame joint and a perfect fitting shelf with 3/4 plywood , I also ordered  the assortment of loose tenons . Festool also includes bits in the kit. I was not expecting them to include a 4 mm cutter as well. But they did. So, with a little more practice, I have  things to build! Thanks for the tip on Holbren, I checked out the site and will probably try at least one of their bits. I have used CMT  cutters extensively, so they should be of good quality.

Congrats. Enjoy your Domino. Looking forward to mine  Im glad you started this thread and I hope you didn't mind me asking stuff on it.

18 hours ago, joe l said:

I was not expecting them to include a 4 mm cutter as well. But they did. So, with a little more practice, I have  things to build!

Remember that the 4mm cutter is shorter than the others and so using the 12mm depth setting will NOT produce a 12mm deep mortise. As I recall you are supposed to use the 20mm setting to end up with a 10mm mortise, but double check that before making cuts on a work piece.

You are correct, cut one today and realized it was shorter. Just another thing to remember. Did have an issue getting drawer fronts to line up correctly. Sides were even, but 3/8 inch too high? Suggestions? BTW  mat60, anytime you want to discuss domino I'll, be glad to chat. I am learning too.

7 hours ago, mat60 said:

Congrats. Enjoy your Domino. Looking forward to mine  Im glad you started this thread and I hope you didn't mind me asking stuff on it.

Mark, did your order one yet? 

• Like 1

Just now, K Cooper said:

Mark, did your order one yet? 

Im trying real hard to wait until this job is done.  It will be a while because its a big job.  You don't no how bad I want to hit the button. 

I’m working on a project now where I’m using as many M & T’s as I am with the Domino so it’s not a cure all but it is nice! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joe l said:

Did have an issue getting drawer fronts to line up correctly. Sides were even, but 3/8 inch too high? Suggestions? 

Sounds like maybe you flipped the sides or the front. 

Did you make marks or take other precautions to be certain you used the same reference faces and put everything back in the same place/orientation? Did you strike a line across both pieces at the same time for marking domino location?

Of course not! Thought it would be easier than that. I'm going to do more this pm. Will let u know how it works. I'm sure I got in too big a hurry with the new toy. The Seneca woodworking plate came today. Will let u know how I see it in action.

Just my input but i don't like the reference tabs on the domino. i prefer to use pencil marks with the pieces aligned the way that i wan them and then just hit the pencil line. I always make one side on the medium setting.

• Like 2