Sign in to follow this  
Gary Beasley

Shenanigans on the lathe today

Ive been working on my first open segment bowl today. I cut wood for it yesterday and glued up a base. It has 18 segs to the ring, sassafrass for the background wood, black walnut and yellowheart for the feature pattern. Im usng the jig Earl Rasmussen developed and featured on his youtube channel, Earls Small Segment Shop. More later

D0DBC9CC-42AA-4975-9A77-DFA5E03D6B55.jpeg

• Like 1

Hardly seems like shenanigans to me. I've always admired Earl's jig and will probably build one some day...after I finish the dust collection arm, and the wedgie sled, and...and...and...

Looks like it's going to be a rather wide bowl/platter. Approximate dimensions and shape you're hoping to achieve?

2 hours ago, Bombarde16 said:

Hardly seems like shenanigans to me. I've always admired Earl's jig and will probably build one some day...after I finish the dust collection arm, and the wedgie sled, and...and...and...

Looks like it's going to be a rather wide bowl/platter. Approximate dimensions and shape you're hoping to achieve?

Its going to be about 12” wide and 5 to 6” tall. It going to look a bit like a basket.

The jig is pretty cheap from chefware kits, not even worth the time to built it yourself.  You can upgrade to a full kit with index wheel too, just need the jacobs chuck from elsewhere.

It wound up being a lot taller because I was using 3/4” tall segments instead of the 1/2” specified in the plans I drew up. Final size 7 3/4” tall and 12” wide. 1/2” thick walls.

Ive seen turnings like that down to an 1/8”, most common is 1/4”. This is my first so Im taking baby steps with thick walls.