So this happened today... New SawStop.

Robert Morse

On 1/12/2019 at 12:40 AM, K Cooper said:

I’ve seen the wiener run thru on professional videos to demonstrate the safety aspects, but never by amateurs

I don't know if he's considered an 'amateur', but Steve Gass (sastop founder) did put his own hand into a saw to show that it worked.  I wont' post the link, but the video is out there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/11/2019 at 10:40 PM, K Cooper said:

I’ve seen the wiener run thru on professional videos to demonstrate the safety aspects, but never by amateurs.

There are quite a few youtubes of guys abusing wieners that are not pros, at least in the woodworking sense.

• Haha 2

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:59 PM, chashint said:

I have been thinking of getting a 3hp PCS myself.

What saw have you been using ?     

I've been using a PM2000 with 30" fence. 

Regarding the test... Part of my day job is dealing with business continuity... so there's definitely a part of me that wants to do the hotdog test, just to make SURE the system is working. If you don't test it, how do you KNOW it works?  But at the same time, that's expensive (cartridge and blade...). 

I spent part of the morning yesterday getting the old saw cleaned up - vacuumed out all the dust, and scotchbrite'd the top with some WD-40 to clean things up. Then I cleaned it all off, and applied a coat of CRC 3-36, followed by paste wax.  It's about ready to list for sale. 

We had neighbors over today to make pinewood derby cars, so that was fun. 

I started assembling the ICS mobile base - it needs to be partially taken apart to modify it for the PCS saw.  I nearly stripped out one of the M8 screws trying to disassemble it, so I'm glad they sent replacements.  They were tightened down hard. But I finally got it loose, and got the base ready for the saw. I'm planning to move it down to the shop either tomorrow night, or Tuesday after work.  

12 hours ago, Robert Morse said:

there's definitely a part of me that wants to do the hotdog test, just to make SURE the system is working.

You can test the brake function by touching the blade when the saw is not running. If you get a flashing red light, then it works. But, you say, 'I want to see if it actually works". Then you can do the wiener test, but then you have to replace the cartridge, & then how do you know that the new cartridge will work? Better to just not use the saw at all :) 

@Robert Morse I recently bought the same saw, only with the 36" fence. Setup was really made easier by the care and thought that SS put into making the manual and color-coding the hardware. The only area where I needed another person's help was installing the brackets that hold the fence rails. They are supposed to be set so the top of the bracket is parallel with the surface of the table. I was able to use an F-style bessey clamp to make this happen, but another person would have been better and easier. 

I am impressed with the it's tolerances right out of the box. The only thing I wish I had slowed down and taken more care in setting up is the black, extension table. It's ok for the time being, but this spring I am going to have to take a day to adjust it a little bit. The saw itself works flawlessly.  

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Have the 1.75hp model... I'm in the process of decluttering storage in my basement and planning to move the whole thing down.

Which means I'll have to disassemble the saw.   And then try to move the main part down stairs using an appliance dolly.   Not totally looking forward to that, but am looking forward to having my saw indoors where it's warm. :-)

2 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Have the 1.75hp model... I'm in the process of decluttering storage in my basement and planning to move the whole thing down.

Which means I'll have to disassemble the saw.   And then try to move the main part down stairs using an appliance dolly.   Not totally looking forward to that, but am looking forward to having my saw indoors where it's warm. :-)

Man i'd grab a friend and move it like I've posted a few times. I'll never move a table saw with a dolly again. Pop the top and attach a couple boards and carry it with 2 people stretcher style.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Man i'd grab a friend and move it like I've posted a few times. I'll never move a table saw with a dolly again. Pop the top and attach a couple boards and carry it with 2 people stretcher style.

I may just hire someone.   The base probably weighs 200 lbs, so they could move it like a fridge with those shoulder strap things.

Just now, Minnesota Steve said:

I may just hire someone.   The base probably weighs 200 lbs, so they could move it like a fridge with those shoulder strap things.

Oh if your going to hire let them deal with it.... yes my method is similar to those shoulder strap things except a lot more stable. The base of the lower end cabinet saws are light. I'd bet it's even less than 200 lbs with all the cast iron off.

Nicely done!  That's how I moved mine, on a dolly  - out of the garage, about 30' up the back walkway., and then with the help of a friend, we eased it down the 7 steps into my basement.  Just took it easy, one person above and one below, and it went like clockwork.  

Setting it up is a joy.  Cleaning the cosmo off....not so much.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Yay!  Do yourself a favor.  Check blade to slot alignment at 90* and 45* BEFORE you add the wings and fence rails.  Much easier going.

Definitely - I already thought of that.  Going to stop to get new nitrile gloves on the way home, so i can start cleaning the oil/cosmoline/whatever-the-heck-it-is off the top as step 1.