screwdrivers for Chinese philips style screws

Scott Meggison

Looking for recommendations for Philips screwdrivers for Chinese screws. I repair and restore vintage stereo gear. A lot of the small screw seem to have a different style of Philips head.  The  #1 philips driver has too long of a point. It bottoms out before getting deep enough to seat properly. The #2 is too large. I have one that I have ground the tip to fit better, but it still isn't a great fit. Wondering if there is a "Correct" driver for this. 

Any help is appreciated

There is some generalization of what makes a cross head screw a "Phillips".  The JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) head, for one example, has a much narrower point that our western Phillips screw pattern.

220409234_PhillipsvsJIS.JPG.fe394355f7b176558537db0bf2a396cf.JPG

There are certainly other variations; Frearson, Mortorq, etc..  For the work you describe I would just grind the tip off one of my pointy #1's.  There are inexpensive sets of small screwdrivers.  Many come with more tips than you would know what to do with.  Perhaps one of these sets would cover you?

Here is where I'm coming from- I used to do gunsmith work as a hobby. It was critical for screwdrivers to be purchased and/or ground to exactly fit the screw. This was to keep the screwdriver from jumping out of the screw head and messing up the slot. I have a drawer full of Harbor Freight freebie screwdrivers. I can grind or file them as needed. Looking to make small turning tools out of them like a parting tool or for grooving wood. I'm not sure where you would find the specific screwdrivers you need. Good luck.