Sign in to follow this  
Bombarde16

First bowl of 2019

Recommended Posts

Does anyone ever resin-stabilize bowl blanks? Seems like pen blanks and knife scales are all I see treated that way. Seems like a good method to make use of pretty, but spongy, wood.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Does anyone ever resin-stabilize bowl blanks? Seems like pen blanks and knife scales are all I see treated that way. Seems like a good method to make use of pretty, but spongy, wood.

Yes a lot of people stabilize blanks.  If small parts are pinky you can flood with CA glue as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Very pretty ...that’s a huge piece of Holly by the way.   Beautiful bowl   

 Curious..., why the segments on the rim?... as opposed to just face gluing a wide board to the edge of the blank 

 Look up cactus juice  if you’re interested in stabilizing blanks.    It’s a process though.  

 Minwax wood hardener works well on a very very punky blanks.    No need for a vacuum or oven but it’s expensive.   A 12” diameter blank can soak up two full bottles of it and just about triple the weight.  

 The  Challenge  with CA glue on punky areas is that it soaks through and completely changes the color off and blocks  your final finish as well.   I’ve ruined quite a few blanks trying to fix hairline cracks with CA.

  Shellac seems like a good idea to stabilize punky areas so they don’t tear out... until the alcohol displaces all the moisture in the blank  and it cracks like an egg !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

 Very pretty ...that’s a huge piece of Holly by the way.   Beautiful bowl

Thanks! It came from a log about 20" across, so it was indeed a monster holly.

7 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

Curious..., why the segments on the rim?... as opposed to just face gluing a wide board to the edge of the blank 

That would also work. But this lets me use up some narrow stock. And the look of face grain all the way around has grown on me, more so than a rim which is half end grain, half face grain.

7 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

Shellac seems like a good idea to stabilize punky areas so they don’t tear out... until the alcohol displaces all the moisture in the blank  and it cracks like an egg !

I've never experienced this. Any pictures or anecdotes? This blank and its sibling have been dead on equilibrium for over a year, so I wasn't particularly worried about it trying to change shape on me or anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

that’s a huge piece of Holly by the way. 

And it occurred to me that this isn't really even that log's full potential. When I got it wet from my friend's backyard, I was still on my little Harbor Freight mini lathe so I had to rough it down under 10". Wish I had bought my full size lathe sooner.

So many trees, so little time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this