Recommended Posts

Nice shop.  My bench is 36x74 because of what I build most times. A base with draws and open storage would work for me. Like the idea of a small air compressor under the bench. Im kind of wondering why your router table top has holes drilled in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Nice shop.  My bench is 36x74 because of what I build most times. A base with draws and open storage would work for me. Like the idea of a small air compressor under the bench. Im kind of wondering why your router table top has holes drilled in it.

Mat the router table is built into my 4x8 Paulk assembly table. It has dog holes in it to clamp stuff like face frames for cabinets etc. It's a torsion box design and he did a nice job of designing it for what it is used for. There is way to much resonant bounce though for chisel work though. I do the hand tool work on my main bench which has nearly zero bounce. My main bench top is two layers of 3/4 MDF laminated together and then another piece of 1/2" birch ply is used for the top surface for a total thickness of 2". I have oak trim strips  around the edges of the plywood for edge protection. The plywood is screwed down with #10 x 1 1/4" silicon bronze flathead screws around the perimeter so that it can be easily replaced. I use my benches hard so when it gets ratty over time I can just pop in a new sheet when needed. It has a workman type of finish using BLO and beeswax for stain protection. (mostly anyway :) )

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mark J said:

 

Very nice shop, but the important question is which airplanes?!  Got a photo?

Former EAA member here.  

Mark I built a Bowers Flybaby many years ago. I have very few photos and none digitized. I loved that plane and wished I still had it. I doubt if I would fit in it nowadays as my girth and weight has increased somewhat!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I use to have a small plane as well

a friend of mine builds his own from a kit from Vans Aircraft, i think he's building the RV series, up to an RV-4 i think, he has built several, including one that won the Lindberg Trophy at the EAA in Oshkosh Wisconsin a few years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, Chet said:

Coop you know anything about this.

Yeah, unfortunately B. Is correct. They are currently building the third loop around Houston and when complete, it will be 170 miles long. I can drive to the casinos in Lake Charles LA in less miles for free as this will be a tollway. Mr. Brinkley, from where do you source your hardwoods? I’m been getting mine recently from a good ole’ mountain boy in Tennessee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mark J said:

Ronn W what plane was it? 

We had a Piper Arrow180.

4 hours ago, treeslayer said:

a friend of mine builds his own from a kit from Vans Aircraft, i think he's building the RV series, up to an RV-4 i think, he has built several, including one that won the Lindberg Trophy at the EAA in Oshkosh Wisconsin a few years ago.

I have had friends that had built various RV version but to win at Oshkosh - big deal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Yeah, unfortunately B. Is correct. They are currently building the third loop around Houston and when complete, it will be 170 miles long. I can drive to the casinos in Lake Charles LA in less miles for free as this will be a tollway. Mr. Brinkley, from where do you source your hardwoods? I’m been getting mine recently from a good ole’ mountain boy in Tennessee. 

Coop I have not really used much in the way of hardwoods lately. I have a big pile of 200 year old heart pine that I am working off of at the moment. It's hard as nails and very tight grained. Came from a very old dairy barn locally. I am blessed to have acreage so I can cut my own oak etc. I plan on making some furniture for our home from the pine as it matches our old German style of house here on our ranch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.