Total beginner and absolute ignorant of wood needs help

duvaldavidr

Hello everyone!!

i'm like crazy about something i have in mind that includes wood, and a pc, I know this is not a pc forum, I just want to talk about the wood part, i'm building a pc but i want to get out of the traditional and make a very good wooden case, but what is the problem?

1. i dont have tools to work on this project

2 i have absolute zero knowledge about wood and tecniques that you might use on a daily when it comes to work with wood

i'm not going to tell you 'hey give me ideas to make this' no. i, in fact made a 3d model of my idea.

i've attached the pictures for you to see the idea

what's up? that line in the back that is supposed to hold the diagonal piece should no be there, I want the piece to stand for itself, but how???

By the way, i'm thinking of adding another floor down there and for the other components (buttons, USB ports, audio ports and so on..) that additional floor (or table) must have some space for the same components and there the diagonal table might have its balance but i'm just considering that option, i want it to be slim and nice looking

I'll make it without help or anything because it's more about a personal matter, it is important to me, that's why i want to make it on my own.

any tip or help will be entirely appreciated.

i'll upload the progress

wc1.jpg

wc2.jpg

If you are wanting it to stand at that angle without the brace in back, I would probably look at some sort of mortise and tenon joinery. Since you don't speak wood, that is basically cutting a hole in the base at that angle and having a portion of the angled piece fit tightly into the hole. 

13 minutes ago, Quijote said:

If you are wanting it to stand at that angle without the brace in back, I would probably look at some sort of mortise and tenon joinery. Since you don't speak wood, that is basically cutting a hole in the base at that angle and having a portion of the angled piece fit tightly into the hole. 

so the angled piece have to excel downwards a little bit right?

10 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Can the block under the angle piece stay there, to add support? 

Also, is the angled part hollow, to contain electronic components?

the block represents the power supply, but I am suspicious about that, afraid that this piece could make the angled piece to get out of the place and be abruptly moved, i'm not saying that that movement could damage the pc or something but this electronic things shoud be treated carefully

and yes, is meant to be hollowed, for the cables

sorry if i speak wrong, this is not my language

6 hours ago, duvaldavidr said:

the block represents the power supply, but I am suspicious about that, afraid that this piece could make the angled piece to get out of the place and be abruptly moved, i'm not saying that that movement could damage the pc or something but this electronic things shoud be treated carefully

and yes, is meant to be hollowed, for the cables

sorry if i speak wrong, this is not my language

All right, man. I'm intrigued, but I need a better idea of what you're trying to make. I'm not seeing a PC from your images. You said the block is a power supply, where is the motherboard going in this design?

kUL5xti.jpg

13 minutes ago, I B said:

All right, man. I'm intrigued, but I need a better idea of what you're trying to make. I'm not seeing a PC from your images. You said the block is a power supply, where is the motherboard going in this design?

kUL5xti.jpg

Ok everything is wood BUT the block that is the power supply and the blue piece that is trying to be a motherboard, the red piece is supposed to be hollowed

Ok, cool.

Here's a way to go about making the hollow piece. Then cut one end to the angle you want.

wApkUdQ.gif

Then you'd need to make a hole (mortise) in the bottom board at the same angle. Attach both pieces with a floating tenon.

0I44c12.gif

Keep in mind, this isn't the only way to go about it. Just an example.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, I B said:

Ok, cool.

Here's a way to go about making the hollow piece. Then cut one end to the angle you want.

wApkUdQ.gif

Then you'd need to make a hole (mortise) in the bottom board at the same angle. Attach both pieces with a floating tenon.

0I44c12.gif

Keep in mind, this isn't the only way to go about it. Just an example.

Man, you don't have an idea of how much you've helped me right now, really.

Thank you, i'll be posting the whole process

1 minute ago, Tom King said:

Have you built a PC before?   Where is room for video card to plug into motherboard?   What size motherboard, and what video card?  How many hard drives?  Air flow for cooling?

Video card is attached to the motherboard which is the blue piece, hard drives will have to go in the back part attached to it, since its open i thought for no cooling but i just realized that it needs cooling so i will come up with something

Tom, from the size and layout of the components shown, I suspect the OP is planning to use a laptop-style motherboard, with pin and socket connections for accessory boards, rather than pci slot connections. No pci arrangement I've ever seen is less than 2" or so deep, even using horizontal pci adapters to rotate the connection by 90*.

I would still allow the angled part to rest on the power supply block, or better, include a vertical support at the side of th PS, so the angled part rests on that, not directly on the PS. The angle part doesn't have to be attached to the vertical support, just to rest on it, if you want these part to be removable.

5 hours ago, Tom King said:

So the video card will just hang down under the angled piece?   You didn't answer the question about whether you've built a PC before.   I've been building them since the early '90s.

I have not so much experience like you, i've built just one pc man, and it will not go under, it will go in the upper part, that's why the blue piece is there on the top, the motherboard will look like an open book on it's stand, the power supply will be under the angled piece 

The old North Star Horizon from the early 1980's had an optional wooden case ... 8 bit z80 processor that connected by an rs232 serial port to a dumb terminal.  No USB ports back then, you got out a soldering iron to change the serial port settings like the baud rate. 

You should be fine building a wooden case. Just make sure you got enough air flow to keep it cooled.

15 hours ago, Dylder said:

The old North Star Horizon from the early 1980's had an optional wooden case ... 8 bit z80 processor that connected by an rs232 serial port to a dumb terminal.  No USB ports back then, you got out a soldering iron to change the serial port settings like the baud rate. 

You should be fine building a wooden case. Just make sure you got enough air flow to keep it cooled.

Thanks man for the advice