OSB Shop Walls - Do You Finish Them?

SeventyFix

I covered most of my shop walls this past week with 3/4" OSB.  It's sanded and finished out fairly nicely (it is OSB after all, so let's not consider this fine woodworking).  My question is should I finish the walls with something?  Polyurethane?  Or keep it raw?  The polyurethane might give some protection from moisture and be easier to wipe clean. If left raw, I could always give it a light sanding if needed.  The "shop" in question is a 3-car garage, used to park a car and not climate controlled.

What do you think?  Leave raw?  Finish?  And if finishing, with what product?

Thank you

My personal preference is zero finish. For wood fiber products where you cannot expect perfect coverage, and dings will happen, I prefer to leave the fibers open to the air to dry. I see blistering in garages around here that were painted with latex that trapped some moisture. It might depend on your summer humidity levels. 

Absolutely paint it.  I had OSB on the walls for a year before paining an off white.  The dark walls make the whole shop seem dark and small. Since paining them, not only I notice, but my wife and kids still comment on how much nicer it is in the shop because of the light.

I only needed 2 coats with a roller, finished it all in a day. I will not go bare dark walls again. As far as traditional "finish", no. There's really no point.

• Like 2

There are several versions of OSB. OSB type 3 and 4 contain phenol formaldehyde throughout, are structural and can be used outdoors in damp environs hence don't need finishing. I've use that on the walls in my shop. I left it natural so I could get on with making stuff.

Leave it natural as no matter what colour you may decide to paint it then it will soon go wood coloured with all the saw dust in a wood shop.

Want to hang something up? Knock a nail in. Job done.

Great replies - thank you for the feedback and ideas.  I had not thought about the darkness aspect.  I have been thinking about upgrading my lighting as well.  I have two 48" 4 tube fluorescent lights on the ceiling.  Maybe replace these 2 fixtures with 4 LED fixtures for more light and coverage.