Having Trouble Cutting Notch To Receive Cross Stretcher

Leaseman

4 minutes ago, Leaseman said:

I don't have drill press. Any other way of doing it?

Of course, there are a variety of methods, with varying degrees of quality/precision. Drill googling drilling angled holes without a drill press and watching some youtube videos. That is not meant to be dismissive, but to encourage you to look around and see what method might work for your skill level and available tools. I do think an accurate drawing would help as you could determine the required angle.

A dowel jig would really help drill the holes on the stretches, but won't work for the legs. 

Disagree with "A dowel jig would really help drill the holes on the stretches, but won't work for the legs."  A dowel jig is a guiding device.  A properly built jig with the correct angle that fits under the dowel jig would allow it to be used to drill the legs.  Getting the dowel jig to the correct angle and location is the trick in this application.

6 hours ago, Byrdie said:

Disagree with "A dowel jig would really help drill the holes on the stretches, but won't work for the legs."  A dowel jig is a guiding device.  A properly built jig with the correct angle that fits under the dowel jig would allow it to be used to drill the legs.  Getting the dowel jig to the correct angle and location is the trick in this application.

Do you have an image of what you have in mind? Seems a bit tricky to get right for an arbitrary angle likes this. 

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

Coulda chopped those out with a drill & chisel in less time than it took to type all the questions & answers. Never hurts to develop some hand tool skills.

Would you agree the angled shoulders and miters might make it a bit challenging for a beginner hand tool project? Not only harder to produce them, but harder to determine the correct angles and locations. 

13 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Would you agree the angled shoulders and miters might make it a bit challenging for a beginner hand tool project? Not only harder to produce them, but harder to determine the correct angles and locations. 

Certainly a little more difficult than if they were straight, but once laid out with a knife & tape it wouldn't be terribly difficult. It would also be helpful to cut an angle guide block just to help keep the sides true. As far as figuring the angles, drawing it out in plan view at full scale would be very easy & that would automatically give the exact angles.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Certainly a little more difficult than if they were straight, but once laid out with a knife & tape it wouldn't be terribly difficult. It would also be helpful to cut an angle guide block just to help keep the sides true. As far as figuring the angles, drawing it out in plan view at full scale would be very easy & that would automatically give the exact angles.

Yeah drawing full size was my suggestion as well. 

On 1/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, Tpt life said:

I think I’d fab a 45° cradle with fences either side. I’d cut the legs square to the sretcher and could use the fences to true with a shoulder plane maybe. I’d have to play a bit to get that to work. Then you’d have a square face to mortise for a tenon or dowel with a fair amount of repeatability. 

Cradle....agree

• 2 weeks later...