Where can i learn about wood working hands on?

Valleyslim

I live in sacramento ca and have googled(also checked out the local community college) about wood working classes in sacramento and nothing really comes up besides this little hackerlab thing downtown. I watch tons of youtube videos which is how I found about this place, but I feel like they either go to fast or I just don't really know what they are talking about. I'd honestly rather learn hands on so prefer in person if possible. I work full time and just want to learn as a hobby. Currently I have a circular saw, some clamps, glue, screws, drills, miter saw, waiting for lowes cards to go on sale so I can buy my table saw, but most of these tools are not even opened. So far I've only built 1 folding saw horse that I saw on woodmagazine.com and I pretty much just built it by looking at(they didn't have a plan) and I quickly knew I needed some basic knowledge before I continue and try to make the 2nd. Is youtube and forums like this my only option? thanks

Another good resource for education is Half Price Books. 

You can find good books there, often around the $5-7 range. 

YouTube is great and all but experience is the best teacher. Start with smaller and simple projects that you're confident you can compete with the tools you have on hand.

And remember that the joy is BOTH in completing a project, but also the path along the way.

These forums are a wealth of information too.

Best of luck! And welcome to the craft!

Marc Spagnuolo, The Wood Whisperer and head guru here ( well, maybe not here so much here but at The Wood Whisperer.com) has some excellent builds from simple to not so. The purchase of a build allows you bill of materials, plans and very well done instructional online vireos. Regardless of how deep you want to get into this woodworking program, take @RichardA‘s advice and study long and hard on any major tool purchase and he’s right as you will find some good stuff here. And welcome to the forum. 

There's a Rockler in Rocklin:

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Blue Oaks Town Center
6648 Lonetree Blvd
Rocklin, CA 95765

And a Woodcraft here:

9523 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95827
USA

I used to live in Folsom, and no, not in the prison . . .  ;-)

Like any skill, this craft seems to come in steps or tiers of "ah-ha!" moments.  I now look at things that would have baffled me even with plans and see how they may be built in my head.  Joinery or parts making that would take a few tries are now done without much thinking about it.  Driving a car was once a challenge too but, few of us remember it being difficult.

Many folks learn better by doing.  If you're one of these look for a local woodworking club in your area. Sacramento Area Woodworkers comes to mind.  Grass Valley is a bit of a haul but, Essick is up there.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i knew about rockler but didnt know they did any hands on courses, will give woodcraft a look too. I was looking at the delta saw for my first table saw https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-10-in-Carbide-tipped-13-Amp-Table-Saw/50081568 

my budget is around 500 and researched between this table saw and the rigid similar model and delta seemed like the best for the money. If i really like the hobby, i would definately drop 2500-3000 on a better saw, however i only have my side of a 2 car garage to work with so my space is limited. If anyone has any other suggestions around 500$ budget for a good starter build im open, i did check craigslist and didnt find anything  good. I know the delta is 599 but i buy 100$ lowes cards for 90 on ebay from a reputable dealer and they have the sales every 2 weeks just waiting for the next sale so i can pick up 3 more and i'll have 6 total, so that with a 10% coupon the saw comes out to 480 + tax

As the old saying goes;  Patience grasshopper.  The saw's that you're looking at are not so good with dust collection,  If your young, you might want to consider a life longer than what a non dust collecting saw might give you.  I don't know that particular model, but I'll bet there's no way to collect the dust that you'll be breathing.  There are some saws that have the ability to make dust collection a bit easier, and they are close to your price range. In particular, the cabinet saws of Grizzly.  They are not the best, but with some fiddling you can make them into excellent saws, and they afford you a way to keep the dust out of your lungs.  All you have to add is a Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector that's less than $200 and you've just extended your ability to breath for a few years longer.  One of the most important things in working with wood is to plan ahead. Being able to breath longer allows you to plan ahead for a few extra years.

• Like 2

Richard makes an excellent point. After working in a very open space for a few years, and letting the wind do much of my dust collection, I have started doing more in a closed space. The need for good dust collection becomes evident, quickly. Even with a collector attached to my Rigid table saw, enough fine dust still gets out that I need to wear a cartridge-type respirator.

11 hours ago, RichardA said:

As the old saying goes;  Patience grasshopper.  The saw's that you're looking at are not so good with dust collection,  If your young, you might want to consider a life longer than what a non dust collecting saw might give you.  I don't know that particular model, but I'll bet there's no way to collect the dust that you'll be breathing.  There are some saws that have the ability to make dust collection a bit easier, and they are close to your price range. In particular, the cabinet saws of Grizzly.  They are not the best, but with some fiddling you can make them into excellent saws, and they afford you a way to keep the dust out of your lungs.  All you have to add is a Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector that's less than $200 and you've just extended your ability to breath for a few years longer.  One of the most important things in working with wood is to plan ahead. Being able to breath longer allows you to plan ahead for a few extra years.

This is what I would like to do, he uses the same saw delta saw I was looking at, you think this would be good enough for dust collection? also is the harbor freight one do a good job? if there are better ones out there I wouldn't mind spending a little extra to save my health, thanks, the guy in the video uses a wen air filter, thanks for your reply