Talk me down off the ledge.

Coyote Jim

Looks like a decent price for the unit if it's in good shape and has flat tables/square fence. The 10" combo units get pretty mixed reviews, the 12"+ are a different class of machine and get much better reviews (also exponentially more expensive).

• Like 1

From what I've heard, so take with a grain of salt, combo units have some inherent idiosyncrasies that come to bear because they are combo machines.  They supposedly work well enough in either mode but not as good as a stand alone in that same mode.  If you already have stand alone units, the added capacity really doesn't give that much benefit.  Personally, I'd save up and upgrade one or the other of my stand alones before I'd purchase a combo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Byrdie said:

From what I've heard, so take with a grain of salt, combo units have some inherent idiosyncrasies that come to bear because they are combo machines.  They supposedly work well enough in either mode but not as good as a stand alone in that same mode.  If you already have stand alone units, the added capacity really doesn't give that much benefit.  Personally, I'd save up and upgrade one or the other of my stand alones before I'd purchase a combo. 

+1

So the path taken to this ledge was safe, turn around and go back! 

• Like 1

Combo’s do take a bit of time to get used to them having said that I have been happy with mine. Regarding this machine I have read quite a few bad reviews definitely buyer beware. There are a fair amount of moving parts on j/p’s so make sure not only is everything square but that it goes back to square after switching functions.

• Like 1

It's not great, but it does work.  I have the 8" model...  It has limitations, but if all you have is a 6" benchtop jointer it is a bit of an upgrade.   If you have anything with cast iron, it's not.

The beds are aluminum as is the fence and it takes a lot to get the blades aligned.   And the blades are unusual(well I think they're metric) and have to be ordered from Jet.   Fortunately they aren't expensive, I think $20-30 or so.   It only has two.   

I've been thinking of selling my 8" model on craigslist...  but as I'm trying to rearrange my basement so I can get the table saw down there I might keep it... for the basement.   I have a bigger jointer and planer to keep out in the garage.

• Like 1