Hepplewhite Sideboard

joe mendel

Wow! Two things immediately come to mind. First, what amazing talent you have. Second, I would love to try a piece like this or others i've seen but what would I do with it? While the woodworking challenge appeals to me and like a well done tattoo I can appreciate the artists work I just don't have that formal of a house to display something like this. Someday I may try a piece regardless just for the immense challenges provided. Well done and thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks for detailing some of your methods Joe.  You are a gifted craftsman.  Truly beautiful work.  You are spot-on about choosing your clientele.  My brother has made a good living in the car repair, restoration and parts business . . . but, . . . he doesn't cater to Chevy owners.  I learned from his success.  I have been lucky enough to gather some repeat customers who want something made just for them; and they have friends, and their friends have friends.

• Like 2

The focus of that book is how to identify a good period furniture piece, so it contains no construction details.  I have one of the earlier editions of that book, I hope the newest edition was finally printed in color.   

That's a great looking piece, the Federal period is my favorite.  Is your book new?  I couldn't find it anywhere.  

Berkshire Veneer in MA is the best experience that I have had consistently.  When in a pinch I will drive the thirty minutes  to Certainly Woods in Aurora, NY, but the mgr there Greg Engle is not the most accommodating of salesman.  It is like I am putting him out by stopping buy to purchase; it must be they prefer mail order customers to do-drop-ins. 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:03 PM, difalkner said:

Very, very nice build, Joe!  I hope the recipient truly appreciates the work that went into that piece.

Where do you source your veneer?

David

+1

From whence cometh the drool-inducing veneer and how did you get it onto the painstakingly shaped doors?

• 2 months later...

Joe this is an awesome find for me - I’m just getting into stringing and banding, and some of the techniques you show here are things I’d like to pick your brain about later. 

I have read quite a bit about the Hepplewhite and Sheraton period furniture, its origins, development and its commercial rise and fall. As more time goes on, fewer decent craftsmen who can successfully execute this work will exist. 

I have plans for a Federal side table drawn by Steve Latta and purchased through Taunton Press. I think I’ll start on it later this year or next year. But you can count on me asking you questions as I stumble through it! :) 

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 3:50 PM, pkinneb said:

Second, I would love to try a piece like this or others i've seen but what would I do with it? 

You sell it for a price that reflects the many, many hours it took to create, as well as the lifetime of learning and skill building that fueled all of those hours.

Then you buy a fancy new toy for your shop!

At least, that's what I'd do. Fortunately, I'll never be in the position of building anything even close to that nice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Stunning work, and a very informative series of photos and dialogue to boot.  A tour-de-force piece.  Your clients are very lucky people. This kind of work, from that period, is still the standard by which all other work is judged.  Hard to overdo the superlatives.  Doing this kind of work in commercially feasible timeframes, for a discriminating clientele, is about as hard as hard gets.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 6:45 PM, joe mendel said:

The finish is about 15 coats of  super blonde shellac

@joe mendel

Hi Joe, thank you for sharing this spectacular work. 

I do have one question for you sir,

You mention using about 15 coats of shellac.

How did you arrive at that number? Was there a characteristic you were looking for and it took that many coats to get there?

Thanks

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e