joe mendel

Hepplewhite Sideboard

Excellent execution, including your choice of grain pattern. Can't blame you at all for protecting those photos with a watermark.

Wow! Two things immediately come to mind. First, what amazing talent you have. Second, I would love to try a piece like this or others i've seen but what would I do with it? While the woodworking challenge appeals to me and like a well done tattoo I can appreciate the artists work I just don't have that formal of a house to display something like this. Someday I may try a piece regardless just for the immense challenges provided. Well done and thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks for detailing some of your methods Joe.  You are a gifted craftsman.  Truly beautiful work.  You are spot-on about choosing your clientele.  My brother has made a good living in the car repair, restoration and parts business . . . but, . . . he doesn't cater to Chevy owners.  I learned from his success.  I have been lucky enough to gather some repeat customers who want something made just for them; and they have friends, and their friends have friends.

• Like 2

The focus of that book is how to identify a good period furniture piece, so it contains no construction details.  I have one of the earlier editions of that book, I hope the newest edition was finally printed in color.   

That's a great looking piece, the Federal period is my favorite.  Is your book new?  I couldn't find it anywhere.  

The book you have is Good Better, Best.  The color version is Good Better, Best, Masterpiece.   Both are indispensable when trying to get a client to see things, " my way is the right way."  I also made the people who worked my gallery for me to know the book, and more importantly, how to convey quality to a perspective buyer.

51UiWl1KsmL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

Spectacular piece, Joe. In addition to having to master about 24 new skills, I would have to study meditation for years to acquire the patience necessary for such a project. 

Kudos!

• Like 1

Very, very nice build, Joe!  I hope the recipient truly appreciates the work that went into that piece.

Where do you source your veneer?

David

Berkshire Veneer in MA is the best experience that I have had consistently.  When in a pinch I will drive the thirty minutes  to Certainly Woods in Aurora, NY, but the mgr there Greg Engle is not the most accommodating of salesman.  It is like I am putting him out by stopping buy to purchase; it must be they prefer mail order customers to do-drop-ins. 

I've been buying from Certainly Wood since they opened but I'm in Louisiana so the only buying I've done is over the phone, mail order (back in the day... :rolleyes:) and now online.  I'll have to check out Berkshire Veneer - thanks!

David

On 2/8/2019 at 11:03 PM, difalkner said:

Very, very nice build, Joe!  I hope the recipient truly appreciates the work that went into that piece.

Where do you source your veneer?

David

+1

From whence cometh the drool-inducing veneer and how did you get it onto the painstakingly shaped doors?

The veneer was hammered and hide glue on the curved surfaces, and the center drawer and two center doors were hide glue and veneer press.

IMG_0073.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't done hammer veneering in the last 20 years, matter of fact it was probably 30 years ago the last time I did that.  Neat process and glad to see how well you made it work out.  Excellent job!

David