New storage shed

We get 70 to 80 inches of rain yearly. All minimum code. Hurricanes make the codes tough. The side door is 3' 0". The big door is as wide as a 12" wall will allow.

As much as I needed to go north and see different climates, you need a trip to a tropical destination. Florida is subtropical. It gives you a taste. The Caribbean. I'd recommend Dominica...A lot of strange trees for you...

P.S. 8' overhead door...

• Haha 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 months to get to this point. Dealing with architect and county. Rules here are very tough in Florida. Due to past hurricanes. So good rules keep home owners ins cost down. But they get carried away.

Finally done! Most materials are out of the shop and in my new storage shed. My scrap pile is gone. All the good scraps now reside in the rack along with the same species The worthless scraps wil

2 of the 3 lights do what I need. I'll install the third light after the garage door is installed. Got it painted... The last thing before inspection is the garage door. Then I will build a

Posted Images

On 2/25/2019 at 1:38 PM, Chestnut said:

Is 2x6 construction code for your area or did you just want this built extra sturdy? The opening for the man door looks large what size did you go there?

Also regional differences entertain me. My first though was. Wow there isn't going to be much slope on that roof. Snow loads might be problematic..... It's hard for me to remember that not everyone usually gets 48" of snow annually.

Uh, Florida.  Not much of a snow load.

• 3 weeks later...

fullsizeoutput_1d1e.thumb.jpeg.ef99c00a7e8d1b1d3f77aeedbead76cb.jpeg

Got the roof underlayment, drip edge, painted trim. Hardy plank up. Next is to finish the roof, hang the side door. Get the garage door, paint, paint, Then some racks....

Any experience with rechargeable lithium lamps to hang inside? The shed is not wired. All it needs is modest light. Thanks.

• Like 1

I have a couple of closets with battery powered, motion activated lights in them and they work very well. But replacing the batteries a couple of times a year is an annoyance. I can't remember the brand, but there are lots of them out there.

That is a sweet shed. Jealous.

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

That IS nice! If I had that I could bring home a UHAUL truck load of lumber that @Spanky didn’t sell to someone else first :D

Well.....You get cream in your milk to.  :P You need a lumber shed like that. 

• Haha 1

I was thinking some solar lights, too.  The collectors are not very large, and the wires are small gauge.  They could be roof mounted and the wires run easily.   I am thinking something in the landscape line, but then again those might not be bright enough for even modest light.

Nuther idea is just place a couple of lanterns at the door.  Then, when needed, you can change the batteries inside in the light.  

53 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I was thinking some solar lights, too.  The collectors are not very large, and the wires are small gauge.  They could be roof mounted and the wires run easily.   I am thinking something in the landscape line, but then again those might not be bright enough for even modest light.

Nuther idea is just place a couple of lanterns at the door.  Then, when needed, you can change the batteries inside in the light.  

Harbor Freight has solar panels pretty cheap you could wire up to charge a deep cycle battery and wire some camper lights to the ceiling where you need them.

I expect the light will hardly be used. But when needed be there. I would have wired it in the past but with lithium batteries and low demand LED's it makes sense. For the demand, it is not financially beneficial to do a solar setup. Lithium batteries do not leak. Led is low demand on energy. And I have modest demands on light in this area. If needed The electric panel is on the concrete wall on the opposite side. A drill hole away. 

Cooper, Too long of a drive. Is there shipping connections? No specific needs at the moment but may be in the future...

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'd get some LED work lights and keep them in the garage next to the shed.

The garage has good lighting...

FWIW, I get the Sunbeam brand batteries from Dollar Tree. Some of the best batteries I have used. I use them in my  smoke detectors, flashlights, etc. A good flashlight mounted inside the door might be the cheapest way to go for the new shed. I, too, am jealous.

2 hours ago, Bankstick said:

FWIW, I get the Sunbeam brand batteries from Dollar Tree.

I am sold on lithium batteries. Especially in this application. ALL batteries leak. Except lithium. As long as the device is not shorting, the lithium batteries will not leak. For the infrequent use of the lights I want, I'd bet I might never change the batteries. More important when I needed the light I would not need to call a time out and replace the batteries. I like reliability and low maintenance. If the sunbeams are lithium I'd check it out. Publix, a big grocery in the Southeast US, frequently offers branded lithium at 25% off. Buy them when they are cheap. Remember they don't leak and longer lasting.

15 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Cooper, Too long of a drive. Is there shipping connections? No specific needs at the moment but may be in the future...

The garage has good lighting...

Oh sorry i meant i store them in the garage by an outlet to be charged and readily available and then i'd carry them into the shed. I know that if i left them in the shed they'd run out of juice and then my motivation to charge them would turn into "I'll just deal with no light".

I also have some awesome SS battery flash lights that you can clip to a ball cap brim and is likely something i'd use as well.

48 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Does your existing garage not have power some where close that you could punch thru for power to a switch and a light of some sort? 

Yes, that can be done. But this application calls for non wired battery lights. My modern thought due to LED's and lithium batteries. Without those 2 in this configuration it would be wired...