Magnet tool strip spacers

treesner

Anyone else love magnet strips but a little to OCD to have the tools disorderly looking/crooked? 

Prototyping some different ideas wondering if you had any suggestions 

tried 5/16 dowels with holes so you could move them around 

B3DBBB0C-FCE4-4CD6-BBE8-6166411D4C31.thumb.jpeg.e28eaaf364e72ffc12f658a62598ddd3.jpeg

then I tried some blocks with cutouts 

DDE64CF5-353A-49C8-BCFB-6FA0E68768CF.thumb.jpeg.c0fd35c86b55ba1bad354e7a48dc5b11.jpeg

which led me to think maybe just single blocks that you can pivot to adjust to the size you need 

4A635EB9-03D7-4612-BDAC-231EB60CF24C.thumb.jpeg.f8ce2b149d4a79aabc4d3c1fd3d57a17.jpeg

and playing around with some leather cover for that

E189B28E-4A6F-4299-8469-16AAD4D205B3.thumb.jpeg.19a1f279832f1478b6722b003aa54345.jpeg4C60C8FC-B236-481B-984F-3B81353173AC.thumb.jpeg.913efc056a37a37ccfeb6a990236dfb3.jpeg

I really  like the look of the nailed in leather strips but I like how easy it is to grab the tool when it’s on a magnet and the handle is on the bottom opposed to top

5DA67D89-28F9-494B-B60B-7E123424767B.jpeg.1b7b5d2d7a3e017f0c159a0f11b7faed.jpeg

6 hours ago, treesner said:

this bottom aligned thing helps bring some order but kind of relies on the tools being all the same height which mine aren't 

I have looked at the magnetic strips, but haven't used them.  Do they have enough holding strength that bumping an adjacent tool doesn't cause it to fall off?  The tools in this picture seem way too close together for my clumsy fingers to be able to pull out a tool without jostling the ones on either side.  I'd hate to see a good chisel hit the floor (or my foot) just because I bumped it.

The magnets seem like a good solution for screwdrivers and such.  I wonder if something like a dentil molding attached to the top or bottom of the strip would work.

• Like 1

When I was in the mobile tool business, I had those magnets all over my truck. They held any thing with steel in it and took all the bumps and shaking without any problem. (even on the ceiling)

If you put a tool on it in any given direction, it will pretty much stay where you put it unless you bump it or move it.

One thing that will probably not be a problem but you need to consider, after so long being put on and pulled off, the tool will become magnetized. JFYI. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it is not.

Yes, I use them in my personal shop to this day.

3 hours ago, G Ragatz said:

I have looked at the magnetic strips, but haven't used them.  Do they have enough holding strength that bumping an adjacent tool doesn't cause it to fall off?  The tools in this picture seem way too close together for my clumsy fingers to be able to pull out a tool without jostling the ones on either side.  I'd hate to see a good chisel hit the floor (or my foot) just because I bumped it.

The magnets seem like a good solution for screwdrivers and such.  I wonder if something like a dentil molding attached to the top or bottom of the strip would work.

the chisels actually hold the best compared to screwdrivers because they're flat and have a nice solid magnetic surface

Might just be the angle of the pics, but with the spacers it just looks too cluttered for my liking. I'd probably just prefer to spend a couple minutes every so often to straighten out things as needed, or just take an extra moment when putting things away to make sure they are how I like them.

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

Might just be the angle of the pics, but with the spacers it just looks too cluttered for my liking. I'd probably just prefer to spend a couple minutes every so often to straighten out things as needed, or just take an extra moment when putting things away to make sure they are how I like them.

I think its just the prototype and the fact that I threw it together, if the system ends up working I'll do it nice