Question on box fan filters

Valleyslim

So after doing a couple post here, i've decided to first invest into some sort of dust collection and filtration system before i start buying anymore tools. As a few have suggested i would like to buy a 2hp harbor freight dust collector, but before i do that i would like to also build about 3 (2 on the ground and 1 on ceiling or visa versa) box fan filter systems. Done a lot of you tube watching and seems like most people like to run 3 filters. My question is what Merv should i get? i was thinking about getting 11 merv or even 13 merv or even 8 merv. I dont mind it being overkill as i want to protect my lungs as best i can. Also is 3 filters too much esp with such high merv?? seems like the higher the merv, the less cmf i might get out of the fan or even might burn out the fan. Also any suggestions on a good respirator or mask would be greatly appreciated. My work shop will be 1 side of a 2 car garage, thanks

I have a box fan that holds the furnace filter in place with a bungee cord. Wife saw this on TV and suggested it. Works great. After a session in the shop, I turn it on high and let it run for at least an hour or when I remember to turn it off. As for protecting your lungs, I wear a dust mask any time I'm doing anything with wood.

• Like 1

Check our Mark's site (The WoodWhisperer.com) for his video on dust masks. I've bought both of his recommended 3M masks. The first one works great, but the second one he mentions (with the flip down strap mechanism) sure is convenient when you want to take a breather or have a conversation without taking off the mask. It also has interchangeable filters for dust or chemical protection.

I suggest building a box to hold the filter(s), with a fan pulling air through from one side. Allows more filter surface area. Jay Bates has one on his site, which serves as a tool stand, as well.

I'm using the filter strapped to a fan method, but my next tool stand will probably incorporate the filtering system.

• Like 1

I built a box around a gable fan.  The two "pre-filters" proved too effective an I only use one now.

DC-Ambient-1-small.jpg.f349441784101c3b0c0aef91f7daf8c1.jpg

Obviously there is a cover on this.  It is easily removable for filter changes.  It hangs in the rafters along the long dimension of the shop.  It collects a surprising amount of dust despite other "at source" collection systems being present.  My primary use for this is to scrub the air prior to finishing if I can't wait over night for dust to settle. 

I operate it via one of those cheap remote Christmas light outlets you pick up at the BORG right after Christmas for $10.  The remote dangles from a shop light cord over the bench. It has been in use since early 2006. I pick up filters any time I see them on clearance somewhere for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 1

I have the HF dust collector and put a Wynn Nano filter on it for dust collection at the tools. I fancy a Dust Deputy but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I put a remote switch on the DC that works reliably (unless the remote falls on the floor and you step on it, don't ask how I know) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJF2UJK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

A Jet air cleaner hangs from my ceiling, and gets occasional duty especially when I'm sanding (even if using a vacuum cleaner on the sander). I like that I can "Fire and forget" since it has a timer on it with a remote.

I have the GVS Elipse mask (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01663XTM0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which works well for me when sanding or routing (things that make the most flying dust). :) 

• 4 years later...

One thing I enjoy about this site is how easy it is to read a thread that is four years old and not realize it until I hit the "4 years later..." text :-)

Since I'm here, I suggest to the original poster to start by doing anything and it will be an improvement. I bungee a basic furnace filter to a box fan and even on top of my dust collection and air cleaner, it cleans a fair amount.

I had a box fan with 4 filters and it worked very well but I realized that air flow seemed to drop off quickly as the filter did it's job.  Replacing the filters was getting to be costly so I opted for a permanent filter from Wynn.  Higher upfront cost but better longterm results.  The nice part is that the fan ends up at workbench height which may make it more efficient to collect dust at the source. 

I followed the guidance of this youtube:

• Like 1